BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
PoTM Winner
98+ BoTM Winner
Rocky Mountain Fan
Brodie Fan
Feedback
View
Afternoon all. I'll soon be starting my first road bike project since the early 90's. I'll be building it up with either Ultegra or Dura Ace but am looking for some advice on choosing a period correct handlebar. The bike is from 1993 and I just can't remember what people were using back then. Any suggestions on what to look for would be great. Once I know what I'm looking for the wanted ad will follow!

Anything cinelli, ITM or 3TTT in a classic bend (not anatomic) would look fine. Double groove bars generally came after campag ergos came out, before then they would be single or no groove. If you're after more specific, year correct options, then start with any of those makes and check the years of manufacture on velobase.

Anything cinelli, ITM or 3TTT in a classic bend (not anatomic) would look fine. Double groove bars generally came after campag ergos came out, before then they would be single or no groove. If you're after more specific, year correct options, then start with any of those makes and check the years of manufacture on velobase.

Thanks for the advice Andy. I'll take a look around. Hope you're keeping well mate?

And what's the build? Thread anywhere yet? More info please - if it's anything like your fat tyre builds it will be worth following ;)

No thread yet mate. The frameset has a long journey to make before I get my hands on it!

Cinelli or 3TTT, but if you get lucky a Shimano DuraAce E1D186AA-6C6C-405E-AC49-C662A0ECBC37.jpeg 19EA35D4-C9F5-4104-80E9-DB0C5B4AAEE6.jpeg

Last edited:
Ah hang on, sorry I’m thinking 1983

Well if it’s all Shimano then why not have the handlebar combo that Peachy mentions as it won’t look all this out of place…. Even the Dura Ace AX version of stem looks stylish..

Well if it’s all Shimano then why not have the handlebar combo that Peachy mentions as it won’t look all this out of place…. Even the Dura Ace AX version of stem looks stylish..

Whilst they’re lovely, I like my builds to be period correct. I’ve also seen the kind of money they sell for 😮

Back