Avoid ebayer kev_1969 from Ripon.

Re:

It's not reasonable to expect a buyer to disassemble a bike to check everything (or for that matter the seller to wait around whilst doing so). Best endeavours can be made to establish condition, but that's about it. Imagine if they took this stance with cars? What might look good and start up when on a drive, could break down miles from the seller. Is this tough luck on the buyer then, as they inspected it before driving away?

Re:

I made this point to eBay.I went through the whole process including sending eBay a copy of a report from my LBS stating that the frame was too dangerous to ride and that even they had to take the bike apart to find the fault,but eBay was not interested,they had their policy and that was that.

Funny thing is that eBay was the real loser in all of this because living in the countryside I tend to buy all my stuff online off eBay and have it delivered by Shaun the postman.No longer.

If I had the bike posted I would have been OK under distance selling regulations

The other thing which stood out was that Paypal refused to get involved because it was bought off eBay under their rules and Paypal has a policy of abiding by eBay's decisions.

I was going through a dispute procedure with my credit card company when my LBS brokered a deal which set things right although this did not come from either eBay or the seller.

Re:

Same with this one, hidden behind the chain rings. Took it apart today and to add insult to injury the crank set had clearly been off recently as it had fresh grease meaning he must have known :evil:

Anyway, never mind.

Re: Re:

I'm going to be honest, I'm quite surprised by this thread.

Due to the nature of my hobbies I often buy years old stuff, through private sales from non experts. I have had some blinding deals, also, sometimes things have not turned out so good.

If I buy a used car, bike whatever, if I inspect it and still choose to purchase it, that's up to me, if it breaks down, destroys itself or I find hidden damage or whatever on the way home that's my problem. Il never be able to prove the vendor was aware of a problem, he may or may not be.

If I strip, clean and inspect everything I sell I would put my labour time and consumable costs onto that price, which would then render them unsellable.
Quite simply, if I am liable for the condition of parts made by someone else a few decades ago, and I'm selling it for next to nothing, because lets face it, most bikes range in value from loose change to pocket money, I would much rather destroy it and put it in a skip, than risk dealing with someone that I believe would be better off buying a new item from a retailer and getting the warranty etc.

To some extent it depends on the description.If something is described as in good condition and well maintained you have a reasonable expectation that the bike in question is actually as described.

In my case the frame was cracked,the chain and bottom bracket needed replacing and jockey wheels,hubs and freehub all needed basic cleaning and greasing.

This was a relatively new bike but in the retro world I have been sold parts off eBay described as in good condition but where xt shifters would only move 3 clicks,rear derailleurs with b axles so worn they could not index and so on.

In the end I got so fed up with eBay that I tended to buy the parts I needed only off this site where at least people are honourable and knowledgeable.I can honestly say that I have never had a duff part off here.

Re:

The difference is as it was picked up then it was *sold as seen* Just as it would in a normal auction or here as a BIN it is just sold as seen buying from someone on gumtree/pub/garage sale.

That is quite different to distance auction/buying as you cannot see it and take their word for it.

That's the way it is unfortunately.

Re: Re:

FluffyChicken":36w5eyyg said:
The difference is as it was picked up then it was *sold as seen* Just as it would in a normal auction or here as a BIN it is just sold as seen buying from someone on gumtree/pub/garage sale.

That is quite different to distance auction/buying as you cannot see it and take their word for it.

That's the way it is unfortunately.

Actually that's not correct certain sections of SOGA 1979 still applies to any sale new or used and section 13 which is one section that still applies states:

'Where there is a contract for the sale of goods by description, there is an implied [F1term] that the goods will correspond with the description.'

So where an item is described as being in good condition and free from defects it must comply with the description.

I'm going through this now as I bought a used Trailgator a couple of weeks ago described as 'being complete with all parts supplied', only when I received it the fork clamp, ball stud and nut were missing, along with the stowage bracket.
All parts can be replaced but would cost more than the original sale price, so I asked to return it and the seller started arguing that they had used it fine. It really doesn't fit it's purpose and is dangerous used without the handlebars locked. I have argued that the manual shows all the missing parts and it is mis-described so I am entitled to a return and refund.
In the middle of a Paypal claim on this one so we'll see where it goes as the seller was completely clueless.

Carl.

Re:

But is the 'by description' applicable if the person collected it had had a look over it*

It's different in your case was you did not collect.

*To muddy the waters a bit, afaik the item this post refers to was paid for before collection hence paid and sold unseen.

Re:

Like others, I've had both good and bad buys on used bikes from eBay. On one, the quill stem was so stuck in place I actually cracked the head tube trying to shift it! :(

However, I have to say that many of the sellers of new items have been excellent. Again, like many others on here, no doubt, I've had tyres and all manner of bits from the likes of Baldwin's, Hopkinson's Cycles, Firecloud and others on eBay - they've been quick, well packaged and much better value than the local bike shops. Yes, there are bad sellers but I haven't ditched my eBay account because there are some really good ones too. It's just a case of learning from experience and being selective.

Re:

Yup! Poo happens. I've bought some bargains and some dogs. With the dogs, you salvage what you can. When I used to buy old VW's? What a risk. Talking hundreds back then. You take your chance. More to be lost in a car than a bike. Hang the frame on the wall and sell the rest. As for the seller? His time will come....its called Karma I believe. Don't stress, enjoy! :D

Latest posts

Back