Are these totally forked ? Pace content

Antstark

Gold Trader
Cannondale Fan
Feedback
View
Picked up a nice little Orange tonight. Unfortunately someone seems to have gone to town with a hacksaw on the Pace RC35 fork dropouts... suffice to say I think they may have lost some of their structural integrity and I am not sure I would ride with them.

Were the dropouts bonded?. Assume not replaceable ? Destined for spares ? ....which is fine as they have a Stage 2 ti kit on them

Attachments

• AA51475A-B878-4FC8-9106-3B3A7E806361.jpeg
    AA51475A-B878-4FC8-9106-3B3A7E806361.jpeg
    89.1 KB · Views: 306
Re:

Yeah they're bonded on, so could be replaced if you can find an odd Pace leg or something.
I guess the cut will have caused some loss of strength, how much I don't know, I mean they could have been like that for 20+ years, being ridden around on.

I wonder what the reason was for the cut??!! Is it just on the one dropout?

Some hubs (spoke heads in flange) rubbed on very early RC35 dropouts, looking at the position of the cutout I guess this is what the owner was trying to rectify.

Re:

I had a dropout de-bond - which Pace repaired - but it was some time ago - and the dropout hadn't been butchered.
You could try asking them - nothing ventured.......

Re: Re:

No it’s both drop outs

It’s the 20+ years being ridden on that makes me think I probably shouldn’t ! :D

jimo746":fy8a0sp7 said:
Yeah they're bonded on, so could be replaced if you can find an odd Pace leg or something.
I guess the cut will have caused some loss of strength, how much I don't know, I mean they could have been like that for 20+ years, being ridden around on.

I wonder what the reason was for the cut??!! Is it just on the one dropout?

Re:

You can get them repaired. I have a set of rc31s that needed a new drop out. Contacted justbackdated on here who runs fork english (services and repairs pace forks). He fitted new drop outs and repainted them and the crown.

He also built me a set of rc31s in 24 inch size for a build.

I've just had some rc39s serviced by him and I sent him a set of rc36 evo legs just in case they were any use to him/anyone (one had cracked carbon due to an over clamped disc mount). He may even have new drop outs that he can bond in for you.

It wasn't expensive iirc, relative to a new set of forks. Drop him a message, he might be able to save your forks. Get a service done while you are at it, my rc39s were in good shape anyway and including return postage it was just over £60. Not sure on the cost of an rc36 service, but they will be as good as new once done.

Re:

Might be worth asking an alloy wheel repairer if they could weld that up. Amazing what those guys can repair.
i guess it depends if you value them enough to spend the coin on them.

I’ll drop Tim a PM :cool:

ishaw":2cfm7slo said:
You can get them repaired. I have a set of rc31s that needed a new drop out. Contacted justbackdated on here who runs fork english (services and repairs pace forks). He fitted new drop outs and repainted them and the crown.

He also built me a set of rc31s in 24 inch size for a build.

I've just had some rc39s serviced by him and I sent him a set of rc36 evo legs just in case they were any use to him/anyone (one had cracked carbon due to an over clamped disc mount). He may even have new drop outs that he can bond in for you.

It wasn't expensive iirc, relative to a new set of forks. Drop him a message, he might be able to save your forks. Get a service done while you are at it, my rc39s were in good shape anyway and including return postage it was just over £60. Not sure on the cost of an rc36 service, but they will be as good as new once done.

enc":3pxwhu05 said:
Might be worth asking an alloy wheel repairer if they could weld that up. Amazing what those guys can repair.
i guess it depends if you value them enough to spend the coin on them.

The heat from welding would then damage the bond into the leg; don't do it.

Back