Are all of the orange Manitou forks 'Mango'?

rentedmule

Devout Dirtbag
I recently picked up a second Y-bike frame, this time a '97 Blaze Red/Mango Y22. It seems these were sold with a matching Manitou in some flavor, and I'd like to find one that matches the colour scheme of the frame. Are all of the Manitou forks from that era the same orange, or was there one specific to that frame? It's tough to tell from auction pictures and image searches.

Y22 1 by Rented Mule, on Flickr

Aside from the fork, this one will be a parts bin build with an XTR M952 drivetrain and brakes, Cane Creek WAM wheelset, and other random bits I have laying around.

Here's it's beloved older ('95) sibling with its AC crowned/Englund Total aired, FSX braced Judy SL :)

Y33 2023 by Rented Mule, on Flickr

Yes, I've got some '98 SX-R and X-Vert R, as well as some '99 X-Vert R lowers and they're all the same colour. I can only imagine the Magnum would be the same as their magnesium lowers (as opposed to Carbon ones) seemed to be one of three colours, and all the same shade; silver, red or mango. HTH.

I’ve got absolutely nothing to add, other than looking at that Y33 makes me miss mine…

Attachments

• DSC_0536.jpeg
    DSC_0536.jpeg
    949.8 KB · Views: 6
Amazing, thanks Cloverleaf! I knew there would be an expert on here! I may grab a cheap X-Vert Super that fits the bill.

Twozaskars - that's a great looking Y. Maybe it's time to get another?!

Hmm, X-Vert Supers were much later and possibly are different - all the stuff that was the same era as the Trek Y matches each other though. I just googled for a quick pic of the X Vert Super as I didn't realise they did them in orange and the first pic looks a shade darker to me, but another fork looks the same as mine. It'll be as close as you're likely to get it though, taking fading into account.

On a separate note, for touching up the manitou mango, or whatever they call it, Tamiya X6 is pretty damn close if maybe a touch yellower should you want to be really picky. TS12 is their spray match, albeit you'd need a few cans to get sufficient coverage compared to less than half a can of Halfords 300ml spray.

Great info on the paint matching - I considered asking that but didn't think anyone would have that info. I have a SID on hand that would match the frame functionally, but it's red and nothing close to the red of the frame. I could repaint it mango.

Back