Anyone know what this is? Sort of looks interesting for £100..

sjcprojects

Orange 🍊 Fan

Fairly crappy photos as per usual, but I like the look of those forks. Seller says "It says Tange on the forks they were the first company to produce mountain bikes." Not sure where they got that idea from? (Random Googling, I'm guessing). Were Tange actually the first tubing company to produce MTB-specific tubing, maybe? Anyway, I am somewhat intrigued...

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-01-11 at 22.05.09.png
    Screenshot 2022-01-11 at 22.05.09.png
    698.2 KB · Views: 119
  • Screenshot 2022-01-11 at 22.02.43.png
    Screenshot 2022-01-11 at 22.02.43.png
    875.3 KB · Views: 117
Tange did make suspension forks - struts and shock blades I think. Characteristic triangle shaped fork bridge. They might be some low end ones. I don’t recall them being very popular, or particularly good for that matter.

Flex stem and suspension fork is an interesting one….

Frame doesn’t look anything special to me but the top tube riveted cable guides and rear brake bridge will probably be a dead giveaway to someone in the know.

Satsuma Trail Worrier? Knobckracka Kurb Hopper?

Generic A-Pro frame, mildly mid range kit

Forks were never high end but better quality than many but always looked cheap - and in this case they look a bit long

And for you tubing buffs, many builders had to use existing road tubing along with modifying pre-existing cast dropouts and BBs to suit - there was no 'specific' anything for off road use. Tandem parts, BMX and some imagination!

Some even used BMX tubing

Tange had their 'Champion' tubing range for the early builders then came out with all the MTB specific names you all know so well

Reynolds had their MTB range available as early as 1982/3

Satsuma Trail Worrier? Knobckracka Kurb Hopper?

Generic A-Pro frame, mildly mid range kit

Forks were never high end but better quality than many but always looked cheap - and in this case they look a bit long

I think you'll find it's a Ferret Root-Gnasher, actually.

I should say, when I said it looked interesting, I meant a bit different rather than anything high-end...I still like the look of those forks, though, in a Robocop type-style, even if they are in fact a bit pants.

Anyway, no doubt it will linger on FB a bit more before getting reduced or put back in the shed...

I'd sooner have Tange forks over some of the other brands, and to LGF's comments I think the looks were one of their biggest problems in a market where Rockshox and Manitou were king. If they weren't OEM, I don't know why you'd have bought them.

If it was a £30 "just need it gone" I'd pick it up, but there's plenty better ways to dispense with a hundred sheets.

Yeah, on reflection definitely worth £50 at most. I'd guess it's a Falcon or something like that, with a few random additions (obviously either the stem or shocks are not original). Still, given what some people are asking for anything from the 80s/90s, he's being positively reserved asking for a mere £100...and it does have a *shiny* frame.

Back