Anyone into classic cars

Mine was an SX TD manual, I always felt it would be better with an auto box but loved it all the same. Again, no hydractive but was one of the first with the anti-sink.

This was the (very moody) photo that stirred my memory this morning:

I had one of the few Xantia Activas sold- had it as a company car. It was totally insane at cornering, although I always had the nagging fear that when it finally let go it might do so rather messily. I had it a couple of years before I moved overseas.
The car seems to have been scrapped after only 5 years, so maybe somebody did manage to explore its cornering limits in a big way.

a school friend had the Citroen ZX Volcane with the passive rear steering - now THAT was scary

I had to make do with a ZX 1.8 automatic - bounce bounce boing boing

I'd have another....

The Xantia also had the passive rear steering, everyone thinks Activa when Xantia handling comes up but even the normal models handled extremely well. Citroen hydropneumatics and Peugeots handling wizardery of the time really made for an amazing combination.

I'm enjoying how much love there is for old Citroens here of all places.

Last edited:
I had one of the few Xantia Activas sold- had it as a company car. It was totally insane at cornering, although I always had the nagging fear that when it finally let go it might do so rather messily. I had it a couple of years before I moved overseas.
The car seems to have been scrapped after only 5 years, so maybe somebody did manage to explore its cornering limits in a big way.
I think the 2.0 Turbo in these wasn't the best so either crashed or blown up and beyond repair.

I wish we'd got the V6 Activa that the rest of Europe did. I know of a few of these were manual converted, now that must be an experience!

Had a Xantia for a company car, it was a great drive if, like me you had to be behind the wheel for many hours each day. It had lots of faults though.
There's loads and loads of rust free examples here in Spain.

Mr Cheese,
I occasionally lust after an SM in my less financially responsible moments. Lovely things.

But then every time (so far) I remember that my DS is almost as fast and a whole heap less likely to swallow the entire contents of my overdraft facility for an engine rebuild.

Mr Cheese,
I occasionally lust after an SM in my less financially responsible moments. Lovely things.

But then every time (so far) I remember that my DS is almost as fast and a whole heap less likely to swallow the entire contents of my overdraft facility for an engine rebuild.
...or indeed to widdle LHM all over your drive.

I walk past an SM on my way to work's HQ. I can't help wanting it. Citroenitis is incurable.

I had a Turbo D Xantia SX as a company car before the Activa, ran up 60,000 miles on it as a company car - it was absolutely flawless and needed nothing more than the scheduled services.

Back