Anyone into classic cars

69 speedster...Oh yeah😍..My dream car ( apart from the split) is a 356 B outlaw coupe in Dove Blue...but I wouldn't turn down a Speedster if one was going spare ..it "Takes my breath away"😁
We (well, the wife) have a '68 Speedster, had it about 18months now, lots of fun - apart from when one of the carbs decided it was time to start leaking fuel, thankfully when parked at home in the garage. Cue sudden carb rebuilding research and parts sourcing. Dead easy in the end.

IMG_4842.jpeg

Last edited:
Prefer my classics to be similar era to my bikes TBH, MoT day tomorrow for my old faithful '95 Xantia Diesel Auto... A car so slow only 1 other remains on the road, presumably also in the hands of an automotive masochist!

She turned 20yrs old earlier this year. That's a classic, surely? Best car I've ever had, stacks of life left in it. It's not leaving my ownership anytime soon. And the comments it gets is always satisfying.

IMG_20220807_144905_7.jpg

My 1973 Citroën DS23ie Pallas with factory (working) air conditioning system. In AC085 Beige Tholonet with brown (natur) leather interior.

It also has a modern CANEMS fuel injection and engine management system (instead of the unreliable Bosch D-Jetronic system) and produces about 150bhp with a nice, smooth torque curve. It keeps up with modern traffic very nicely.
IMG_2750.jpeg

Last edited:
Prefer my classics to be similar era to my bikes TBH, MoT day tomorrow for my old faithful '95 Xantia Diesel Auto... A car so slow only 1 other remains on the road, presumably also in the hands of an automotive masochist!

Any pics? I was only just lusting after my old Xantia this morning, best car I ever owned, and I've had a few.

I'll have a look see if I can find any pics tomorrow, she's not looking pretty at the moment as been off the road a couple of years & never was the tidiest example to begin (best cars get the hardest life I guess) we got her in 2017 with a very impressively blown up engine, at sub-100k miles to boot! Not sure how that even happens to an XUD let alone a non-turbo & in an automatic, along with 4 ruptured spheres and pretty tatty paint.

Despite being slow as a glacier & a base non-hydractive LX it's my favourite car owned also, above the '89 Toyota Supra, above the '86 735iSE, above anything... Even had a newer, tidier VSX with manual 'box and TD that doesn't top it for just how faithful she is. Anyway I'm gushing now so best shut up, erm, yeh... Will find or take pics tomorrow with any luck...

Mine was an SX TD manual, I always felt it would be better with an auto box but loved it all the same. Again, no hydractive but was one of the first with the anti-sink.

This was the (very moody) photo that stirred my memory this morning:

DSCF0796.JPG

Love it, great photo. Actually I just remembered, there's a video floating around featuring ours on the Sun news website. Back when fuel prices first spiked post-covid I was making daily trips home from Alder Hey as our lad was having heart surgery, so it made things a bit less hard on the wallet to run sunflower oil.

Some bright spark found it amusing and filmed me filling up, posted online and it went viral... I daresay that video is responsible for a few large repair bills when folk tried it in their common rails without doing their homework lol

Sadly they never made an auto TD in the X1 variant, from what I've read there wasn't a slushbox that would fit and handle the extra torque. (4Hp14 is not super happy with life even having only 68bhp to deal with). By the time they moved on to the Aisin-Warner units the HDi was the only diesel option:(

Last edited:
My 1974 Citroën DS23ie Pallas with factory (working) air conditioning system. In AC085 Beige Tholonet with brown (natur) leather interior.

It also has a modern CANEMS fuel injection and engine management system (instead of the unreliable Bosch D-Jetronic system) and produces about 150bhp with a nice, smooth torque curve. It keeps up with modern traffic very nicely.
View attachment 799846

A mate had a DS back in the early 90's. Went out in it a few times and it was great. He got it really cheap off someone who had to leave the country...err...how should i put this?....quickly. Everything worked as it should, it was quick, very comfy and enormous inside. It was a limo compared to my mini and other mates 'sud and R4 van. We rolled the latter!

Back