Anyone doing the Real Ale Wobble 2021?

J i m s t e r

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I'm doing it in a couple of weeks and half thinking about taking the white Bontrager. No suspension. Is that daft or is it more of a day of riding from pint to pint and it doesn't matter? (I hope it's the pints).

I’ve not done this event before, but am entered for it this year with my wife who has very limited mb experience. I’m led to believe it’s more about the pints than the biking, so reckon you should be fine 🤞🏻

Having done it on my Merida hardtail I would say it's deffo possible on a rigid bike, although I didn't do all the technical routes. I heard a lad did it on a rigid SS so 👏👏👏 to that chap. There are some steep climbs back to the trail if you do take the technical options. The town was very quiet considering there were 400 people in for the ride. 2 pubs and the hotel bar. The locals were friendly enough. Public toilet facilities were sketchy...

The cafe didn't open until 10 on Saturday morning, which was when the ride kicked off, so they missed out on selling as many breakfasts as they could have physically knocked out. We got some breakfast after the hotel had done serving the residents, so we were still on a full stomach for the start. Ride itself was friendly and well-organised. Some unrideably muddy bits in parts but that's the season for you. And 300 blokes going through it first within an hour of each other. There were some nice fast descents to make up for it.

Lots of chaps on electrics which looked very shiny and expensive. A few people on fat bikes. Not done a big group ride like this for ages and noticed how nearly all the new bike clothing is the same and very, uh, conformist. I would not advocate a kilt, mankini or a shirt and tie, not in late November in Wales, but, y'know... missing a few characters. Makes it hard to spot your mates when everyone looks the same!

Would do it again, just make sure I don't take #2 son's sleeping bag by mistake next time (came halfway up!) Brrrrr!

Latest posts

Back