Any V brake caliper which doesn’t require a spring with pin for the 3 holes?

ibbz

Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Karma King
Dyna-Tech Fan
Feedback
View
Is there such a V brake caliper which doesn’t require the spring tensioner with the pin that fits into one of the 3 holes on the frame?
Having trouble setting some V brakes up with the spring pin keeps popping out of the hole and wondered if there’s such a thing as a V brake without this nonsense?

I'd be inclined to reform the spring end, to prevent the popping out syndrome.
I’ve tried ! It’s ok now and doesn’t pop out - I had to make a few changes to the 3 hole plate so it is closer to the pin.
but one caliper isn’t as tense as the other side which means lop sidedness and non-performing brakes.
Would be a blessing to have some brakes without this palava. Are Paul Motilite spring pin less? I used to have a set but that was over 10 years ago and have forgotten

I have a set of those, still nos. There are others...

Paul's
Onza hola
Prg (Paul's clones)
Odyssey A brake (I think)
I think there are some dia-compe ones

I am sure there are others.

Daft thought, the spring hasn’t come out and been fitted back to front? Have in my head that for some brakes the ”tail” was longer on one side than the other. The longer side for engaging the holes on the frame would still fit in the brake arm, leaving the shorter end not really engaging the frame holes?

I’ve had similar issues over the years, most recently with two different generations of XT v-brakes. Some it seems like the spring is bent so doesn’t end up square/home in to the spring tensioning hole. You can bend the spring to make it work but likely won’t ever be quite right. I found it was the bushings if that’s the right word worn on the brakes themselves - not sure what material it was seemed plastic - like a washer/collar had worn through on the pivot of the brake meaning there was slack so the spring wouldn’t tighten home. You can buy rebuild kits for some brakes.

Daft thought, the spring hasn’t come out and been fitted back to front? Have in my head that for some brakes the ”tail” was longer on one side than the other. The longer side for engaging the holes on the frame would still fit in the brake arm, leaving the shorter end not really engaging the frame holes?
the frame doesn’t have the 3 hole plate welded on as most do - instead it was a plate you have to put the M10 brake boss through and then screw that in to secure.
Managed to fit the springs and they don’t pop out but one side is tender than the other so that the brakes are lip sided and aren’t usable - both in middle hole.
So I guess a new spring on one side though I can’t see any fault with it

Or do as others did, take the long part of the spring and bend it a bit until they are even.

Any pictures and what are these brakes, you don't mention?

Back