Any eBike love here?

davidj

Senior Retro Guru
Along side pre and post 98 bikes does anyone else run an eBike? I have had a Cube eBike for over 3 years now.

My commute has changed to 52 miles each way and the eBike has been somewhat overlooked since lockdown in March ever since.

I stuck it on eBay, but in the process of selling it I ended up riding it again and my Clockwork & P7 are both currently sidelined as a result.

I don't love it like my Orange bikes, but it is a rewarding ride. I may still sell it, then again if I personalised it I may find some love for it. Anyone else enjoying riding an eBike on the Retrobike forum?

Attachments

• Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg
    Webp.net-resizeimage.jpg
    404.2 KB · Views: 1,191
Re:

I work 12 hour shifts, there isn't enough time left in the day for me to commute by eBike unfortunately. It is back in the car for work sadly.

Ebike is still a brilliant tool for shopping, hills & headwind. Tomorrow I am going to force myself to work harder and take the Clockwork out.

ebike for me is for commuting to work - which is in total 64 km. Pathes are mostly flat but our region is prone to headwinds and that what the ebike flats out for me and makes it a pleasant journey. Also the bike has all the commuting stuff - like carrier rack, lights, mudguards aso. - as standard. That makes the daily ride also more relaxed.

for sport I use my non ebikes at the weekend or on vacation; that's what they are for :D

I have a Fiido D1 - one of the Chinese small wheeled folders. Costing around £350 it has more than paid for itself. It was a godsend when recovering from major surgery last year. I was riding within a week & half (while still receiving daily outpatient treatment for an open wound). It now occasionally gets used for shopping or quick jobs like nipping to the post office (there are loads of hills around here!)

If I had a commute longer than ten miles, I would definitely regularly use one.

I'm still deciding :?
Little wheels, or big wheels. Cargo bike type or trail bike :?
Each have their plus points.
I for one would prefer to commute/shop on an E trail bike rather than an E commuter.

Anyone know if it is possible just to buy frame/motor/batt' on these more MTB Ebikes ?. Certainly I dont fancy paying 3 -4 thousand for inhouse branded parts and bottom end brakes and hubs. We al have tons of high end kit. Be nice just to be able to swop it onto an Ebike.

Re:

I did some shopping on my ebike today. The local retail park is normally accessible for me from the national cycle network but due to roadworks the cycle paths have been closed. The open car lanes are narrow and pavements closed. I was forced onto a bypass road which normally has a 60mph limit but thankfully reduced to 30mph right now.

If I was on one of my conventional bikes I would have turned round and gone back home. I can maintain 25mph on the eBike for quite some distance and due to congestion through the road works I was able to hold my road position in the traffic untill the restrictions ended. Not proud to say I rode on the pavement as the roadworks finished. In my defence it wasn't far and I didn't pass a single pedestrian.

I do though have concerns about eBike speeds being unrestricted despite mine having this facility.

Daughters boyfriend has added electric power to his commuter bike himself - although to be fair, he is doing a Masters in this kinda thing.
I tried the bike at the weekend - it certainly works - especially given he'd ridden 45miles on it to get here.
Must say though - it weighs a bleeding' ton - wouldn't want to lift it!!

Re:

I have to admit, my opinion of them changed yesterday after taking a leisurely ride along the promenade (slight headwind) and trying rather awkwardly to keep up with a team of octogenarian Ebikers.

I'm currently saving for one too, just now in the throes of which motor/frame style/battery. In fact all in all it's a nightmare.
Certainly theres a lot to consider. Commuting to touring to pottering to trail all having their own requirements in torque and battery power.

Which motor, as there have been quite a number of developments in this now the money has it, so is even now a good time to buy, or would it be prudent to wait a year or so, see what a new season brings.

Does anyone know of a good forum for ebikes ?.
I've looked at I think its 'pedeletrics' and Emtbr, with the former appearing quite busy.

Back