Any chrome? removal experts? Or 'how do i get this stuff off please'?

Ah.....ok.
Although that might be easier said than done.
I'll report back if i manage to get them blasted/painted/powder coated.

If your not careful with some of those chemical mixes you will end up with a lovely bit of chome and no spider behind it! 😂

Drain cleaner won't do much to the chrome, well not before its dissolved the alluminium spider!

I've just dissolved a bottom bracket out of a frame using it......ffs be careful with any of that stuff.....most really burns if you get it on your skin....its a gloves, goggles, all skin covered, bucket of water and hose at ready kinda stuff!

Should be easy enough to powdercoat over. The place I go said chrome made a good base for some finishes. The fork on my Raleigh Stowaway was a chrome fork they powdercoated over for me.

I really wouldn’t try anything other than cathodic removal of the plated materials.

Using a corrosive will likely ruin the piece as the substrate is a more active metal than the plating. It will “eat” the aluminum faster than the copper-nickel-chrome outer layers.

Currently in discussions with a chrome expert.

Chemicals (DIY) are out - as has rightly been pointed out - very high probability of 'eating' the spider.
Powder coating is out - (at least not until the chrome has been removed) as several powder coaters have stated that they deal with chromed parts by etching the chrome and powder coating over the top. Almost certainly, this means the spider will not fit onto the crank. I wouldn't go so far as to say it is a compression fit, but it's damned tight - without a layer of powder.....

Interestingly, the spider itself appears to be no magnetic, but at the suggestion of the chrome expert i peeled off a couple of very small flakes of the coating - which are highly magnetic when not attached to the aluminium.

I don't understand the complexities of metals, but that's where we are at - establishing what the coating actually is.

Back