Any Cannondale experts - stems

jawa

Dirt Disciple
I have a 93 M2000 frame and forks and the stem is rather long.

I would like to use a shorter ahead stem I have for it, or a shorter quill if I can find one.

This is mu first retro Cannondale build but have heard the stems ate not 1 1/8inch but are 1 1/4inch

Is it 1 1/4 inch? If so can I get an ahead adapter for 1 1/4inch? or where do I get shorter 1 1/4 inch quill stems now?

Cheers!

Re:

Hi I have two cannondales with 1 1/4" stems and getting shorter stems for them is very difficult. My M1000 came with an adapter which I thought was a factory made product initially. I spent ages trying to source another adapter as all the ones available are for 1" or 1 1/8". I then realised it is a 28.6mm seat post cut down with a taper put on the bottom. In the summer I bought a 26.8mm seat post new from ebay and a friend cut it to length and made me a longer stem. He turned the aluminium cap for the top. We made the adulator 200mm long so we had to use a bit screwed bar for the centre bolt. The tapered nut is from a Zoom 1 1/4" stem with an M8 thread. I will upload some pictures of the new completed stem. You can see the two bikes with the stem adapters in the link below. The new stem is fantastic as it gives me the height I wanted and it opens up a wide range of stems for the bike.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=32700&start=190

This is the stem adapter that came with my M1000

DSCN9842.jpg

DSCN9839.jpg

This is the seatpost I used to make a new stem
DSCN9846.jpg

Back