Anti back-pain-stem recommendation please!

People always assume the lower back pain comes from being leant right over. It can also be because you're not stretching your legs out, i.e. your saddles too low. I've had many people flat out refuse to put it at correct pedalling height because "I can't touch the floor". Fine, deal with the aches, pains and unneeded extra effort then. Just trying to help.
I've heard that so often, or your saddles too high :rolleyes: Er no it's not.

I would consider going and getting a proper bike fit, and trying a couple of touring bikes. You might be much happier on a bike made for the job!
Watch out though, a lot of "bike fit" turns out to be snake oil.

I dont know if its the fitter, the fitted or the thing to get to fit, but sometimes it's counterproductive.

Sometimes it's massively helpful too.

Watch out though, a lot of "bike fit" turns out to be snake oil.

I dont know if its the fitter, the fitted or the thing to get to fit, but sometimes it's counterproductive.

Sometimes it's massively helpful too.
Agreed, but visiting a purveyor of fine touring cycles is the plan. No idea what kind of terrain the o.p. is planning, and of course an Eldridge Grade can work very well as a tourer. But I always think there is room for another bike in the fold!

Not everybody is the same physically, or iscarrying the same injuries, but core strength and lots of stretching benefit everyone. Also warming up into a ride and not going like hell from the off is more important as we age especially if alot of hours are spent at a desk, driving a car, etc

@Stanflashm4n - As others have said it could be that that saddle is too low and you might be better off with it higher, or bars lower if the saddle is already at the right height.
The saddle might be too far back and to reach the bars you are curving the spine too much, too.
Sometimes you also just have to have a setup that is a bit unconventional, too, if there are injuries or defects that need to be worked around.

I suggest doing the free things first before lashing out on a bike fit that has a high chance of being a complete waste of money. get into a habit of stretching at any point of the day and when you are on the bike. Very important in the first few miles and always start riding slowly to warm up. Start riding like a scalded cat and back muscles can tighten up and cause lower back pain. Also do a bunch of spine friendly core exercises. Don't do old school sit ups!
Review your position on the bike and consider changes that put more weight onto the bars and a little less into the saddle, for example. Maybe move the saddle up and forward to change how muscles engage when pedalling, or try using lower gears and spinning instead of mashing.

You probably will end up having to buy something like a stem, or a saddle, or a seatpost etc but play around with what you have first and i know it sounds a bit hippy but really engage with the parts of you that are in contact with the bike and feeeeel what is going on. How comfortable are you really? Is something hurting that is causing you to tense up and that is making your back hurt?

Not everybody is the same physically, or iscarrying the same injuries, but core strength and lots of stretching benefit everyone. Also warming up into a ride and not going like hell from the off is more important as we age especially if alot of hours are spent at a desk, driving a car, etc

@Stanflashm4n - As others have said it could be that that saddle is too low and you might be better off with it higher, or bars lower if the saddle is already at the right height.
The saddle might be too far back and to reach the bars you are curving the spine too much, too.
Sometimes you also just have to have a setup that is a bit unconventional, too, if there are injuries or defects that need to be worked around.

I suggest doing the free things first before lashing out on a bike fit that has a high chance of being a complete waste of money. get into a habit of stretching at any point of the day and when you are on the bike. Very important in the first few miles and always start riding slowly to warm up. Start riding like a scalded cat and back muscles can tighten up and cause lower back pain. Also do a bunch of spine friendly core exercises. Don't do old school sit ups!
Review your position on the bike and consider changes that put more weight onto the bars and a little less into the saddle, for example. Maybe move the saddle up and forward to change how muscles engage when pedalling, or try using lower gears and spinning instead of mashing.

You probably will end up having to buy something like a stem, or a saddle, or a seatpost etc but play around with what you have first and i know it sounds a bit hippy but really engage with the parts of you that are in contact with the bike and feeeeel what is going on. How comfortable are you really? Is something hurting that is causing you to tense up and that is making your back hurt?
Good advice 👍

All he needs is bars level or slightly above saddle and less reach than that lancepole stem and I'm sure it'll be a pleasure to ride. I agree with people saying don't throw a lot of money at it, but a cheap taller zero reach stem like the one I shared will cost very little and achieve just that. I've yet to find a bike that couldn't be sorted with a bar/stem combination to fit me perfectly. I ride frames from 46cm to 60cm.

Thanks for all the replies - retrobike back pain experts, who would have thought it!
I think I’ll try a different stem first . Shame to lose the fluro original but im prioritising comfort over aesthetics… Maybe something like this…
IMG_3398.jpeg

Back