Answer Manitou Fork experts in here please :)

TOMAS

Senior Retro Guru
So i've finally managed to collect the whole set, Mani 1, 2, 3 & 4 :)

Im just waiting on a few more bits to get the 2's up and running and need to fit some new elastomers I have in the 1 and 4 but can anyone tell me intel on them, just need to choose which appropriate bikes in my fleet to fit them to... what i'm trying to find out is YOM, fork travel etc. As far as I can tell Mani1's came out '92 and then subsequent ones each year after - is this right?

What is the difference between 3 & 4? Clearly the graphics but extrenally they appear the same? Is the Elastomers in the 'kebab stack' inside different? Is travel any different between them all, I think the 4s are 57mm/2.25" travel, I'll assume Mani1s will be a lot shorter - maybe 40mm but what about 2 & 3?

All help much appreciated.

Tom

Re:

Passionate. I will give you that.

The internal layouts and the likes is something I would only procrastinate
upon service or routine inspection.
The models, well on a 1995 marin team bike, manitou 4 and others were 'optional'
meaning the number increment is out. This being more of a retro-fit though
as the marin catalogue was printed before manitou put out further models for 1995.

For me dude, run a fork year close to your chosen bike but do deviate by a year either side and you will be safe. It's what looks ok and works for that period I reckon.

Sometimes for inspiration, i look at images of 90's races, team bikes and stuff to
see what they did. It's amazing where and what you see girvin attached to.

Attachments

• 20200529_095926.jpg
    20200529_095926.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 138
I've been able to successfully retrofit elastomers from the newer modes (96/97/9:cool: into Manitou Three or Four. They are longer than the original ones and it would take 3 on each side vs. 6 or 7 of the small ones.

Re: Re:

marc two tone":30ure1ww said:
Passionate. I will give you that.

The internal layouts and the likes is something I would only procrastinate
upon service or routine inspection.
The models, well on a 1995 marin team bike, manitou 4 and others were 'optional'
meaning the number increment is out. This being more of a retro-fit though
as the marin catalogue was printed before manitou put out further models for 1995.

For me dude, run a fork year close to your chosen bike but do deviate by a year either side and you will be safe. It's what looks ok and works for that period I reckon.

Sometimes for inspiration, i look at images of 90's races, team bikes and stuff to
see what they did. It's amazing where and what you see girvin attached to.

I actually also have 'sport' and 'comp' models somewhere but they are busted up/missing crowns etc... bits that will probably never see a bike again. I tried to do the same thing with Rockshox, well I almost have with RS1, Mag10, Mag21, Mag 21SL, Quadra 10, Quadra 21R, Judy XC, Judy SL but I find rockshox a far more flexy chassis and not so suitable for my cake shelf. So any of you guys know what travel they are meant to run? John Deverill (spelling) up Sheffield has done a good job with development of replacement ECUs for these forks and supplied me with some :)

Back