another mystery frame

Not a lot of extra help here, but there's this thread from BikeForums which has a very similar frame badged as a Cavalera. Couple of the decals have adhesive gunk around the edges which again suggests to me that it's a badge-engineered frame. There are various bits of info knocking around saying that 'squadra corse' is an aluminium alloy tubing - but that might be from people assuming the aluminium from Columbus tubes being 'alloy' - as in alloyed steel.

Not a lot of extra help here, but there's this thread from BikeForums which has a very similar frame badged as a Cavalera. Couple of the decals have adhesive gunk around the edges which again suggests to me that it's a badge-engineered frame. There are various bits of info knocking around saying that 'squadra corse' is an aluminium alloy tubing - but that might be from people assuming the aluminium from Columbus tubes being 'alloy' - as in alloyed steel.
thanks
definitely agree re the decals being potentially misleading. I've seen Columbus squadra corse decals on Al and steel frames although this one is clearly steel, they are possibly later add ons. The tubing on the bikeforums Cavalera is more oversized and is multishape, also filet brazed, v similar paint job though. Other similarities being a short head tube, and brazings for just one bottle cage
I'm still pretty sure mine is Thron, maybe an apprentice frame thus a number of tube join types and "parts bin" braze ons. The front derailleur hanger is branded Everest, which I've seen on some high end Italian frames, other hints such as unbranded dropouts and lower spec seatstay bridge and BB shell suggests throwing it together with what was to hand
Notwithstanding all that it's noticeably smoother and more comfortable than my columbus SL Concorde Prelude , and over a kilo lighter
Peter

Back