Another 1993 Kona Kilauea Restoration

Canuckbiker

BoTM Winner
Brodie Fan
I'm new to the forum, this my first post. I've been enjoying the 1993 Kona Kilauea details within the site since digging one out of a dumpster three weeks ago.
I love the old mountain bikes, started myself in 85' and worked up the mostly XT Ritchey Ascent around 88' which I no longer have. I was always wanting one of these style of bike with better geometry, etc. I have a 2008 Kona Dawgma FS which I've replaced every part with high end units over the years so I'm into the old and the new. Anyway I'm pretty handy with a wrench and love working on bikes. Eight years ago we bought a 'summer place' park model trailed in Birch Bay Washington USA where an appalling amount of nice bikes are thrown into a steel scrap bin on a regular basis, more often they are dept store junk. The Kilauea I found is the 17th bike I have plucked out and restored.
As found was mostly original except missing one front brake lever (with a low end V brake), seat, seatpost (the ones in the picture are temporary), kinda banged up but lot's of potential. I have a crawlspace full of old parts and will add some Dia-Compe SS5 or Tech 5 levers, most like some LX cantilevers to replace a low end V brake). Ive tracked down a stock seatpost on eBay and ordered a middle & granny ring along with some very light 26X1.96 Kenda Small Block Eight Pro folding tires. The wheels are LX hubs with a Mavic front rim and Araya rear so not looking too stock. I plan to throw in a titanium Syncros BB and some other treats so will never be fully stock. Here's a pick as found:

The paint was not the worst but very faded with a few rust spots especially where a lot of chain suck happened

I masked the decals only and found a surprisingly good rattle can color match, laid down a new coat of paint last night.

I have a great color match for the stem and fork and have lot's of work left but will post updates as I go! If I good only make a living doing this it would be pleasure going to work :D

Attachments

• Kona Kilauea 1993 01.jpg
    Kona Kilauea 1993 01.jpg
    326.4 KB · Views: 581
  • Photo 2.jpg
    Photo 2.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 581
  • Photo 3.jpg
    Photo 3.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 581
Re:

Welcome to the forum.

That's a nice find! I have always liked the '93 range in the solid frame colours, especially the Kilauea and Cindercone of that year. Sadly we only got the silver/colour fades this side of the pond.

I'm pleased that you managed to match the paint and retain the decals. The parts you're using sound cool to me. Modern tyres are definitely logical if you intend to ride the thing!

Will look forward to more updates :D

Re:

Well, I'm done! Well almost, I still need to tune the brakes/gears but it's fully assembled. Came in at a very light weight of 22.5lbs. I can't wait to take it for a real ride, last night I took a quick spin in the back lane and the fit is perfect, I was a bit worried as I'm only just over 5'-7" tall and the 19" frame had me worried about it's fit but this is the stretched out setup I had with my good old Ritchey Ascent from the late 80s early 90s and feels right at home. The tires just came this weekend and should work fine for the smooth trail, gravel, pavement terrain I plan to ride. The metallic gold chosen for the stem/fork is a bit golder than intended but am happy with the finished product. I completed a polish of the cranks & seatpost which they really needed. My total costs are $260 CAD for seatpost, two chainrings, tires, cables & paint which I think was well worth it, not sure how many hours but there were lot's:

Attachments

• 038 - Kona Kilauea 1993 02.jpg
    038 - Kona Kilauea 1993 02.jpg
    371.3 KB · Views: 435
  • 038 - Kona Kilauea 1993 03.jpg
    038 - Kona Kilauea 1993 03.jpg
    356.9 KB · Views: 436
  • 038 - Kona Kilauea 1993 04.jpg
    038 - Kona Kilauea 1993 04.jpg
    281.6 KB · Views: 436
  • 038 - Kona Kilauea 1993 05.jpg
    038 - Kona Kilauea 1993 05.jpg
    395.1 KB · Views: 436
Re:

Howdy.

I see you're from Burnaby; did you make it to the Vintage Bike Parts Swap-meet in Burnaby on this past Sunday (yesterday/15th)? Was a great event, with no rain, and even Paul (Brodie) made it out with his electric-powered bike (re)creation art-piece (his original one caught on fire and burnt up, due to a malfunctioning battery).

Welcome to the forum/journey ...

K/R

Re: Re:

k-rod":3tvdawpy said:
Howdy.

I see you're from Burnaby; did you make it to the Vintage Bike Parts Swap-meet in Burnaby on this past Sunday (yesterday/15th)? Was a great event, with no rain, and even Paul (Brodie) made it out with his electric-powered bike (re)creation art-piece (his original one caught on fire and burnt up, due to a malfunctioning battery).

Welcome to the forum/journey ...

K/R
I did not know about this swap meet. I'm hoping it's annual event, its just a few blocks from my house, I would definitely check it out next year. Thanks for the tip!

Graham_hkr":2ieftxcr said:
Awesome work, beauty of bike..
Thanks! Just got back from a trail ride, these 26 year old bikes can be a job to tune, the RD has been a lot of work to get quiet, turns out the outer cage was bent a bit where the steel knuckle axle connects. Pretty close to perfect now :)

Attachments

• Photo 2019-09-21, 11 01 21 AM.jpg
    Photo 2019-09-21, 11 01 21 AM.jpg
    429 KB · Views: 257

Latest posts

Back