All my knowledge is retro - where to start?

Re:

Amp B3 was a fantastic flyweight machine for swoopy smooth hills like the South Downs. Has the rigidity of a bowl of over-cooked spaghetti. I loved it, but it was scary-scary downhill, even with the aftermarket brace on the back. It would be monstrous in the Peaks, well and truly out of its depth. I'll drop you my email in a PM....

Re: Re:

Dapperton":23e6db5e said:
This is a bike to be ridden, it's not a project to be finely tuned and sit in a garage except for rainy days. This will be used and going out in all weathers (my old stomping ground was the peak district, things are comparatively dry and warm round here!), but at the end of the day it's how enjoyable it is to ride. I'm 40 now and fairly fit, but the idea of lugging any extra weight up a hill or not getting the best performance I really can is something to consider.

In that case, my recommendation is to steer towards a modern hard-tail, as higher spec as you can so you have something more lightweight than a tank. There's a tremendous amount of quality kit out there...if you can find it because most manufacturers have sold out or are close to selling out this seasons models already given COVID. The second-hand market therefore, is very active.

Dapperton":23e6db5e said:
The AMP was always the dream, and it's definitely an itch I need to scratch now I can actually afford one, but first I just need to get back into cycling - so maybe something modern to start off then look at a retro ride.

Don't lose that dream - making them reality is what this site is thrives on :)

2nd hand 26er HT with suspension forks and disc brakes. You'll get something really nice for £500.

I had an AMP itch which I scratched. I really, really wouldn't! Though they are beautiful looking bikes. (I had a Mongoose Amplifier with AMP forks)

if you want to experience modern it depends on what you're going to do with it - as someone said, there's a HUGE range of types of MTB available now.

XC (hardtail or full Sus), Trail, Progressive Hardtails, Enduro, DH, Downcountry, freeride, Dirt Jump, Singlespeed, Fatbike, Gravel bike. Etc. They really are (mostly) quite different beasts.

Decide on the riding you want to do. Then, remember you're 20 years older and scale it back a notch...

26 is dead. your choice is 27.5 or 29, BUT, tyre widths have gotten much larger if you fancy it 27.5+ (2.8" tyres or thereabouts) are nearly the same diameter as a 2.1 29er.

Geometry started to change properly around five years ago, a few brands took a few years to catch up. look for head angles around 67 degrees and below. Long, low & slack means long wheelbase, low Bottom bracket and slack head angle, it does not refer to the riding position, although it has typically gotten a bit more stretched out.

modern 'trail' bikes are excellent with around 130-140mm travel. That's up and downhill. A lot of folks are loving 'short' travel 29ers with around 100mm of travel.

29er FTW IMO. even as a shortarse I get on with them and their ability to roll and tackle things that might suck up a smaller wheel.

Re:

Another option...

Buy a late-model 26” bike. Really top end 26” stuff from 2005-2010 doesn’t fetch much money as it is too new to be retro and too old to be current.

You get brakes, forks and suspension that work at a very reasonable price. However, you will not be hip/current/modern/cool and subject to ridicule :LOL:

SP

Re: Re:

Splatter Paint":1j09mfn3 said:
Another option...

Buy a late-model 26” bike. Really top end 26” stuff from 2005-2010 doesn’t fetch much money as it is too new to be retro and too old to be current.

You get brakes, forks and suspension that work at a very reasonable price. However, you will not be hip/current/modern/cool and subject to ridicule :LOL:

SP

That's good advice.

Earlier this year I sold a 2007/8 Specialized stumpjumper FSR, DT forks, DT wheels, almost new fox shock, full XT, Hope brakes & headset etc. It sold for well under half your budget.

Re:

Well that's what I'm doing for my other half. He's never really been into MTB so I'm going to get a 2010 ragley mmmbop I've seen locally to give him a taster, it's in good nick and has rockshox & XT chainset, asking £320 so that'll make sense. It's only a 16" frame (I'm 5,8" he's 5,6"), but I'll take it out to get me started.

Then I'll get onto a more modern Marley when a reasonable one comes up and then later on I'll burn myself by getting the AMP I've always wanted.

Divide the pot of money of 70/30 (with the larger sum going on a modern MTB, and the smaller a piece of retro loveliness).

Buy a secondhand modern hardtail - nothing older than 5 years. The geometry has changed massively in the last 5 years and it makes a big difference. Make sure you budget for a dropper post if it doesn't come with. Something like the Whyte 900 series is a very capable hard tail. I built one up from spares and secondhand bits & pieces for around £500.

Spend the rest on one ( or possibly more than one) retro bikes. It's amazing what turns up on ebay, in skips, hereabouts etc.

Do not buy the first thing you see because it seems like a massive bargain. Chances are something else will tickle your fancy a week or so later. That way lies madness and a garage full of bikes.

Back