Aende tout Mavic!

Rod_Saetan

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
Well, mostly. Had this a while and I thought it may be useful to do a build thread of sorts, I have nearly everything, but the frame has just come out of storage and I picked up a key missing part recently (thanks mdvineng!). I already had the majority of a Mavic group from MatBH5 which was intended for a Vitus I just didn't love enough to keep, and I really wanted to keep it and complete the group, the Aende is the right period and as it's yellow I figured it was appropriate for Mavic bits.

I'd been on the look out for a decent Aende in my size for some time, this one came up as a full bike with a really old build kit about 4 years ago, it was terribly described and terribly packaged but the frame and fork were OK. I love the heavily filed lugs and drilled dropouts/crown race shim.

The frame and fork appear to have had mudguard eyelets fitted at a later date, and not very well, it was obviously also painted then too, again not very well! I'm going to keep the paint, T cut it and re-do the decals as I think these ones are later than the frame. I am also going to remove the poorly installed mudguard eyelets, the frame barely takes a 23c tyre without a mudguard so who knows why they were put on in the first place! It will ultimately be a full Euro build with complete Mavic gruppo, but due to other projects and budgetary constraints I'll be using a different headset, seatpost and pedals for now. I have a nice period Cinelli bar and stem and a garish black and yellow Bio Turbo to top it off.

Anyway, some (terrible) pictures:

n0WiUjl.jpg

k61cPaN.jpg

oEnLTDH.jpg

kTgeavr.jpg

fpYX87Y.jpg

Re:

Oh, and no Mavic BB, I didn’t want to go to the lengths of chamfering the frame so I’ll be using a Royce one instead.

Should scrub up well :). The centre punch marks on the forks are to help hold on a loose headset race, might wish to check the size of the headset needed.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Wasn't sure about the age of the bike (and obviously there is no serial number) but it came with a couple of parts I dated to @ 1984 so that's where I settled.

Rear mech:
main.php

Front mech (I ended up with both braze on and clamp on versions in silver):
main.php

Plus the Simplex made levers.

Hubs are I think 500s laced to Mavic Open 4 CD which I'm a big fan of:
main.php

Crank is a 630 double, I feel like it needs black chainring bolts now!
main.php

Brakes are I think the 430s in the 'SSC' dark ano, some damage but they'll work. Levers I hope to get in the new year but match, and then it's just a case of sticking it together. Mostly. Oh, Sachs 6 speed freewheel, Casiraghi NOS cables, Michelin NOS tyres.

Slightly anxious couple of days as the two large boxes with this and another few bikes in I'd posted to myself next day delivery sort of 'disappeared', but I got home from a walk today and they were outside my door. All well that ends well I guess. Anyway, the mudguard eyes on the fork aren't as bad, and I think they'll be a nightmare to remove cleanly, the paintjob is worse than I'd remembered though so I think I'm going to put it together and if it all fits/I like it I'll deal with the mudguard eyelets when I get it repainted in something that doesn't fall off, in perhaps a slightly less Birdseye custard yellow.

Which reminds me:

Why do elephants paint their feet yellow?

To hide upside down in bowls of custard.

With thanks to the late, great Spike Milligan.

Back