Advice request - steerers and stems =]

Badly made, out of spec stem? As stems are cheaper than dentistry, I’d humbly suggest a replacement stem rather than shimming an over-tightened one.
This is very good advice, I might shim for a moment and look for a replacement stem in the long term I'm looking on eBay and I\ll search through the for-sale on here =] Thank you!

You are correct about the star fangled nut in theory if you were a totally nutty weight weenie you could remove the top cap and bolt... 'In theory' ;)
Is there a reason they don't do splined steerers and stems? I mean maybe the accuracy is not there yet, but you'd think if they do it for cranks it could be done for the head end. Not that it would help for retros. And maybe the already do...

Is there a reason they don't do splined steerers and stems? I mean maybe the accuracy is not there yet, but you'd think if they do it for cranks it could be done for the head end. Not that it would help for retros. And maybe the already do...
Arrrrgghhhhh another proprietary design trap waiting to happen, I really want a Race Face stem but it won't fit on my Hope steerer.... 🤣 🤣 🤣

Star fangled nuts do not offer any ‘steerer tube support’, they would not have stopped this happening, SFN are designed to deform, that’s how they gets squeezed into the steerer, they are not structural.

The steerer is hard steel, the stem is soft alloy, it’s easy to guess which one has deformed and is now scrap. If a stem has stretched and deformed like this then using coke can to shim it out is a recipe for disaster. All that will happen is it will deform again. Just buy a new stem. Coke can shims are fine for seatposts if you’re a cheapskate bodger where the only thing at risk is your arse but not for stems where loosing control is a sure fire face plant.
For the sake of ten pounds and your teeth buy a new stem

A beer can shim is what you need then, much stronger than a Coke can shim, plus you get the benefits of drinking beer in order to make the shim.
And should the worst happen, you'll be almost pain free as you pick your teeth off the floor.
Win Win! lose! 2 out of 3 isn't bad 😃

I'd try a different stem.

Irn Bru can surely :)

Seriously though, just get a new stem, they are cheap enough!

oops - sorry everyone who I ignored - I kind went off radar a bit - but as an Update:

@pete_mcc - agreed, thank you - this is sensible advice which is exactly what I ended up doing!

@mk one - same agreed, done!

So I bought a Marin stem off eBay- and it was all right according to my callipers, I installed with a hope head doctor.

First ride was amazing, that bike is so tight and chuckable - I love it, second ride was just as good.

Third ride, I am getting creaking again - so I really don't know what is going on there, perhaps the steerer is dodgy.

Anyway - thanks for all the help, you guys rule! I really appreciate the time you took to help me - you should all feel great about yourselves! =]

Back