A top-end Scott in disguise-or what?!

fearfactoryüberalles

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Recently bought a frame which had been to hell & back- my retro senses signalled a nice deal so I got it from Germany in this rather sorry state:

Fénykép1072.jpg

No dents, only fd clamp marks on the rather thin seattube-I can live that.

I assumed it's an early 90's Scott Pro Racing, I think it's from 1994. However, the cable routing on the top tube does not match as the stops are on the drive side, not located on the top as it was in the catalogue and on other examples found on the interweb.

But what's making me baffled is the fact that it's got a 1" headtube, and a rather short one at that. Very atypical for a Scott of this vintage, as I had an '93 Pro Racing and it was 1 1/8" indeed. It's made of Ritchey WCS Prestige tubes as some remains of the material decal showed this on the seattube.

It's already got a new "gun metal silver" shade (pictures to follow), looks good enough now, at least compared to its previous conditon-thick DIY black paint and rather badly applied too. It's even lighter with all the excess paint removed- at 1840 gr. I can't complain.

68 mm BB, 27.0 mm seatpost size, Ritchey dropouts - no eyelets for the "chain catcher" on the chainstay-should they be there or not?

Plan is building it with mostly XTR and some trick/newer stuff- the Ritchey Logic forks pictured are 1 1/8", aww hell, can't be fitted, doh!

So I had to dig out a black set with 1" steerer- thank heavens early Stumpjumpers used similar forks and I put a set away-and at 720 gr. quite light ones too!

Is it a Scott at all? Answers on a postcard, please!

Cheers,
Endre

Last edited:
to me the Scott may be only stickers, i'm not aware of classic bike which had "Scott USA" decals.
SDG is also just a sticker from the saddle brand, right?

Don't mind, it looks like a nice and lightweight frame 👍

What is interesting is the fact that the dropouts are lacking any eyelets, normally a sign of a top end frame, also the frame has a ‘fastback’ seatstay arrangement, also a high end identifier. Off the top of my head the other brand that used those two features was Ritchey. The fact that the tubes and dropouts are ritchey is also something that Ritchey frames share but the cable routing is wrong. However Toyo, who made some of Tom Ritchey frames also used to make frames with Fastback stays, 1” headtubes and top tube routing.

Thanks for your info fellas. The weight alone is showing that's no run-of-the-mill Scott Pro Racing as they are usually over 1.9-2.0 kg in this size.
Now I suspect the maker being some far eastern factory which was familiar working on either Scott or Ritchey frames-I think the original paint was red, that's what I found in the bottom bracket shell. There is a serial number, on NDS side of the bb shell' underside, written parallel with BB axle, it says: 6111

Always wanted a Ritchey😵, so I guess this frame is as close to one as it gets - headtube size/fastback stays/weight/geo/tubing type-wise.

Anyway it's staying in the fleet, and hopefully will be ready in the next two weeks or so. I'll get a Ritchey tubing decal for it and that's it (unless the wise & bold RBers finds out its origin, of course!).

It bears a few similarities to my single speed fastback, but since I haven't managed to identify the brand of that for sure that doesn't help much.

Managed to source some cool Centurion forks in 1" guise, so I plan to build it with it alongside some XTR stuff, which it surely deserves. Hopefully I can build it in the next week, watch this space!

Back