A Professional Curiosity

Old Ned

Old School Grand Master
Whilst digging through my old photos looking for something specific (I found it!) I came across this. It was taken at the Ellesmere Professional race around '65/'66 (can't really remember!) just before the start. The event was organised by the Ellesmere St Raphael CC around the time when the pro scene was just getting going and the organiser, Brian Collins, wanted to help to move things along. I think he ran it for a couple of years. One year I was machine examiner and another a commissaire (back in the days when anyone could do this provided you were a member of the BCF). EllesmereProRace'67.jpg
There are some classic jerseys visible - worn by some classic riders. I recognise (L to R) Mick Coupe, Pete Chisman, Dave Bonner, ?, Martin Filmer, Mick Coward. The last 5 visible riders I can't name and I don't have the programme to check. Notice the huge loudspeaker on the publicity van that preceded the bunch on the road.

A bit of nostalgia from when the pro racing in the UK was kicking off and everyone was finding their feet. Still very 'amateur' in its presentation and organisation - and even the attitude of many of the riders who I'm sure only turned pro so they could 'legally' ride with some advertising on their clothing!

Used to ride regularly with Mick coupe up till he was in his early 60s. He was still fit then.
Not seen him for about 10 years. A heart condition saw him then in his 70s ride steadily to the cafe using car assist to avoid the hard bits

Mick Coward (who was a regular cyclo-cross man and subsequently built the Emperor Sport frames) moved up to Yorkshire (Keighley area I think) some years ago and rode some local TT's as a vet. Never got the chance to chat with him as our start times never seemed to coincide well enough!

if Dave Bonner won, it most likely was 1966

Result​

uk.gif
Dave Bonner GBRin
uk.gif
Steve Taylor GBRat
uk.gif
Bernard Burns GBRat

The London builders seem to be well represented in that photo of a Shropshire race...so are those Fred Dean, Condor and E.G. Bates riders all up from 'The Smoke'?

The London builders seem to be well represented in that photo of a Shropshire race...so are those Fred Dean, Condor and E.G. Bates riders all up from 'The Smoke'?
Yes. Remember that pro events in those days were held across the country so riders 'followed the money'. Mick Coupe was riding for BMB Bulldogs who (I think) were 'Northern'. Mick certainly was/is.

Back