96 Santa Cruz Heckler

benjabbi

Bontrager Fan
Latest project. I had one of these a few years ago but unfortunately I was made redundant and it had to go before I even really had the chance to ride it. 2021-11-13_04-38-16.jpg
I've been searching for a while and last weekend one popped up on ebay. I took a bit of a punt, there weren't many photos and a fairly vague description, but I won it and here it is. _20220630_152104.JPG Seems to be in good condition structurally, but needs a damn good clean and polish. The shock appears to work, the forks feel like they're lacking oil but hopefully just need a rebuild, although I might fit a Manitou SX I have laying about. It came with the best part of an M750 XT group which is in pretty good condition just in need of a clean. I think though it's going to get the Sachs group off of the Peugeot and the XT will go on that for commuting duties.
The old one was built as a early DH bike, which due to the MBUK influence I would have done back in the day. Daft round here and this will definitely be more XC oriented.
Right best go find the polish and the wire wool, this may take some time! 😁

Latest project. I had one of these a few years ago but unfortunately I was made redundant and it had to go before I even really had the chance to ride it. View attachment 639984
I've been searching for a while and last weekend one popped up on ebay. I took a bit of a punt, there weren't many photos and a fairly vague description, but I won it and here it is. View attachment 639989Seems to be in good condition structurally, but needs a damn good clean and polish. The shock appears to work, the forks feel like they're lacking oil but hopefully just need a rebuild, although I might fit a Manitou SX I have laying about. It came with the best part of an M750 XT group which is in pretty good condition just in need of a clean. I think though it's going to get the Sachs group off of the Peugeot and the XT will go on that for commuting duties.
The old one was built as a early DH bike, which due to the MBUK influence I would have done back in the day. Daft round here and this will definitely be more XC oriented.
Right best go find the polish and the wire wool, this may take some time! 😁
Nice buddy, I quite like the look of it all silver. Here is mine I bought new in 97. It doesn’t get used much these days as I have other bikes but will never sell it.

Attachments

• 00FF6EDB-C19D-4B1F-8362-3E1D4AE881D6.jpeg
    00FF6EDB-C19D-4B1F-8362-3E1D4AE881D6.jpeg
    589.8 KB · Views: 25
  • 0C660729-6375-4CBB-BB7B-BCF2EAA968DB.jpeg
    0C660729-6375-4CBB-BB7B-BCF2EAA968DB.jpeg
    580.2 KB · Views: 24
Thanks @Timoth27 that's a nice looking bike, I had a Tazmon back then with a very similar build to yours, I loved that bike, it got stolen unfortunately! I've had a soft spot for the early Santa Cruz bikes ever since. It's cool that you've managed to keep hold of yours all these years.

Thanks @Timoth27 that's a nice looking bike, I had a Tazmon back then with a very similar build to yours, I loved that bike, it got stolen unfortunately! I've had a soft spot for the early Santa Cruz bikes ever since. It's cool that you've managed to keep hold of yours all these years.
Yes I’ll never get rid. Searching for a disc mount for it led me here. Weirdly after finding Retrobike my 15 year old Santa Cruz somehow became 4😬

Attachments

• F9CF8A7C-2F40-4AFE-9BF1-89B1CE64CBD8.jpeg
    F9CF8A7C-2F40-4AFE-9BF1-89B1CE64CBD8.jpeg
    809.9 KB · Views: 18
I just recently rebuilt my old heckler thinking I should sell it as it mostly collects dust and I could use the money and the space. I took it for "one last ride" yesterday. I know It isn't going to be my most regularly ridden bike but now I want to keep it again. I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it.

Made an extremely half hearted attempt at starting polishing this afternoon, soon decided I'd rather throw parts at it instead, much more fun. I'll get round to it at some point but I really have to be in the mood, it's messy and boring although I do like the result. 😁
Everything went on fine, more or less. Cut the steerer down a bit, need to set up the rear brake, fit a longer front hose and get the gear cables sorted.
Need to sort a lower shock bush.
Will service the Z1 and refit. I was going to fit a Manitou but realised the Z2 meant just a leg swap so did that instead. _20220701_180047.JPG

Back