96' Orange P7 restoration - FINISHED

cycletothesea

Retro Guru
I don't think it's uncommon to see an old P7 on ebay, and think "yes" that's what an MTB should look like. Well that's how it was for me, anyway.

Found this little number on eBay a few weeks ago, and loved it. Look pretty good and a nice ride. Nice bit of retro. But only rode it once and I had the irresistible urge to strip it down completely, take off all the old lacquer, and clean and/or replace all the components to get it back to its former glory.

So, bought some thinner, glass paper, wire wool and new decals from Gil and got to it.

My original purchase.

Chemically stripped, sanded, polished and raw.

So, the first question is: I've gone and bought some F7 forks from a nice man on Retrobike which would work perfectly, but then again, the RC36's do look pretty good.
Which would work best on the rebuild? Originally thought I could just pick and choose depending on the type of riding, but then realised each fork takes a different headset, threaded and unthreaded, so I have to decide before going any further. Decisions!

Attachments

• Original P7-1.JPG
    Original P7-1.JPG
    64.3 KB · Views: 1,140
  • DSCF1307.jpg
    DSCF1307.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 1,141
  • DSCF1313.JPG
    DSCF1313.JPG
    68.2 KB · Views: 1,141
  • DSCF1314.JPG
    DSCF1314.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 1,141
  • DSCF1306.jpg
    DSCF1306.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 1,140
  • DSCF1304.JPG
    DSCF1304.JPG
    94.7 KB · Views: 1,141
Re: 96' Orange P7 restoration - here goes

That sure is a nice shiny P7 frame :cool: Are you keeping it in the raw or gonna clear lacquer over?
I'd recommend those equally shiny F7s for an uncluttered classy consistent polished scheme overall.
If not, I'd happily recommend a 2nd home for the F7s ;)
Look forward to seeing how the P7 progresses.

Very impressed with your polishing. If the bike were mine, I'd probably go with the rigid fork, since I like the simplicity, lower weight and zero maintenance. Good luck with your rebuild though, whichever fork you decide to use. I'm sure it will turn out stunning!

Question about the F7 rigid fork option: With the crown of the forks being much lower, it will alter the geometry and riding position of the bike. Has anybody here swapped suspension for rigid and found the front end too low??

Good work, I am doing exactly the same as you! Have the frame but now just building it up see here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=286551

I'm going with rc36 proclass forks rather than the F7's will watch your build with interest.

Doug

cycletothesea":19nz8a3z said:
Question about the F7 rigid fork option: With the crown of the forks being much lower, it will alter the geometry and riding position of the bike. Has anybody here swapped suspension for rigid and found the front end too low??

The geometry in the 1st photo with the Pace forks looks too high at the front and odd. The P7 was marketed with F7s as the intended fork. The geometry of the P7/F7 set up will work just fine as originally intended and will also look much better. But it's what feels best to you in the end.

F7's. Will be a refreshing change

I too would go with the F7 fork. They are pretty forgiving anyway. Geometry will be good with the f7. You can always change your mind if you don't like it :D

UPDATE:
The consensus of replies was for the classic F7's for a very chromey P7 look. I had an old Azzurri 1 inch headset, originally made for a road bike, but a headset is a headset right. It fits my steerer and makes everything that bit more silver. LBS fitted a headset for me and trimmed the steerer.

I've decided to follow the route of many a P7 restorer and just leave as polished chrome, not sure the expense of trying to get it all re-lacquered would have been worth it. I'm the sort of cyclist who actually likes taking bikes apart after every ride to clean the components individually. Well . . . it's a hobby!

New cranks, old cranks

And just installed bottom bracket and cranks, although had to run down to LBS to buy the damn "external bottom bracket installation" tool. Why is there a new tool needed for every new part these days? Decided not to invest in a torque wrench, just got the crank nuts 'arm' tight - will re-check next time I polish.

Finally, an item which isn't all silver! The decals I bought are 100% black, rather than black and orange, just don't think orange decals work on a silver frame, but have left them on the forks as they didn't need scrubbing, the lacquer is still good on those. Pretty much everything I have in mind for this P7 is either black or silver, so I guess it's a simple but effective colour scheme.

Attachments

• DSCF1397.JPG
    DSCF1397.JPG
    40.9 KB · Views: 1,009
  • DSCF1402.JPG
    DSCF1402.JPG
    49.4 KB · Views: 1,009
  • DSCF1320.JPG
    DSCF1320.JPG
    67.9 KB · Views: 1,009
  • DSCF1400.jpg
    DSCF1400.jpg