'95 Judy XC Oil Cartridge Leak?

npn

Retro Guru
would this be a leak?

I filled the cartridge about 2/3 with oil slid the rod back and forth about 10 times and I noticed a leak. The question is - would that leak stop once installed into the stanchion or is the cartridge blown?

Alu1Ddr.jpg

tRfOXbi.jpg

fTT30ov.jpg

Re:

I don't think it will seal when it goes back in. I don't know why it would. I am thinking it needs a seal, and don't know where you would get one, but I haven't looked either.
Here's a crazy thought. The cartridge service guide indicates that they are the same seal upper and lower. Since this is the lower, what if you swapped them? It might leak at the top?, but less.

Re:

A leak is a leak in afraid. The stanchion won't help as the cartridge just slides inside it. You can get replacement seals, not sure what you need but there should be a marking on the seal to identify it. Others on here will know what you need in sure.

Looks like you have a plastic bodied damper. These aren't great and were replaced by aluminium ones in later forks or as upgrades. Might be worth keeping an eye out for a replacement. Risse may still supply them, I think they were called 'gem' dampers. White bros also did after market upgrades or if you can find some, englund air damper replacements will make your judy as good as they can be, but are rare and cost £££££.

28mm Sid internals also fit iirc.

Re:

Check the # on your seal.
My 97 has #56404 seals.
Found a set on eBay, listing say fits 95-97.
The guy is UK, so probably worth it for you to reach out to confirm.
I am new here and posting on a phone, but try this link, or search '56404 rock shox'
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 3213548695
davez26

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Yep it is the same number. But I'm not sure if it's the seals. The rod is kind of corroded and even after I polished it the thing still leaks.

Honestly, I can't see this thing even working without leaking. It's one very simple seal so it's bound to leak... the only explanation I have is that this thing works properly only when installed -- there will never be the same force pulling the rod down (as the force I apply by hand when the cartridge is taken out), which causes the leak given the pressure... since you'd have the MCUs dampening the force. Not to mention that the cartridge will virtually never be pushed all the way down (rod all the way in) as that would be the fork bottoming out.

On the other hand, do I install this thing and risk a leak? I guess the fork goes in my spare parts bin and project on hold...

In the Cartridge, there is a valve mechanism that is taking care of the oil flow. Those Dampeners do work if they aren't shot. And they don't normaly leak.
You can get replacement seals but if that rod is corroded (and it definitively is!), the new seals won't help much.
You have the plastic version if the dampener, those are said to pop open on the side of the housing.
So if I were you, I'd just get a replacement cartridge - but the Aluminium version.

Re: Re:

ishaw":349f4dhe said:
Looks like you have a plastic bodied damper. These aren't great and were replaced by aluminium ones in later forks or as upgrades. Might be worth keeping an eye out for a replacement. Risse may still supply them, I think they were called 'gem' dampers. White bros also did after market upgrades or if you can find some, englund air damper replacements will make your judy as good as they can be, but are rare and cost £££££.

28mm Sid internals also fit iirc.

Risse no longer do them. I ordered one last year and they spent six months ignoring my emails before I eventually got my money back by opening a PayPal dispute. Since that little episode they've been removed from the site.

Thias":1vlsvnh3 said:
So if I were you, I'd just get a replacement cartridge - but the Aluminium version.

RS warrantied all the plastic cartridges that blew with the newer Al versions. They were cases of them puking their guts in new, unused forks.

:D
31900365288_f6d8035661_b.jpg

Back