'94 Raleigh USA MT700 RSI inspection

Dear RBers,

Please find in the following posts the inspection of my 100% original condition (including the tyres!) '94 Raleigh USA John Tomac Design Series MT700 RSI MTB. As usual, since English is not my mother tongue, feel free to correct my sentences, spelling, grammar, etc. Thanks!

View attachment 538817
View attachment 538818

Frame: Raleigh USA Technium (7005 aluminum main tubes, Tange Prestige chromoly seat tube and rear triangle), 20" size

Fork: Rock Shox Mag 21, 200mm 1 1/8" threadless steerer, 60mm "long travel" kit

Headset: Tioga Alchemy, 1 1/8"
Stem: Tioga Alchemy OS-NSS-AL, 135mm 10.1° rise
Handlebar: Tioga DL2000, 22"
Grips: Ritchey True Grip WCS
Barends: Tioga PowerStuds

Brakes: Shimano Deore LX Hyperdrive-C BR-M560
Brake Pads: Shimano M System M70/T2
Brake Cables: Shimano M System
Cantilever cable hangers: Shimano A/73 (front), Shimano B/82 (rear)
Brake Levers: Shimano Deore XT ST-M737

Shifters: Shimano Deore XT ST-M737 Rapidfire Plus
Front Derailleur: Shimano Deore LX Hyperdrive-C FD-M563-T (Top-Route Type), 34.9mm
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Deore XT RD-M737-SGS (Super Long Cage)
Derailleur Cables: Shimano SIS
Cassette: Shimano Deore XT CS-M737-8R (8-Speed, R-Group, 11-28 teeth)
Chain: Shimano Deore XT CN-HG90, 106 links
Cranks: Shimano Deore LX Hyperdrive-C FC-M563-S, 175mm
Crank Bolts: Shimano Crank Arm Fixing Bolts
Chainrings: Shimano Hyperdrive-C SG-X J-22/32/42
Chainring bolts: Shimano Double Gear (M8 x 8.5) and Inner Gear (M8 x 13.5) Fixing Bolts
Bottom Bracket: Shimano Deore XT BB-UN71, 68 x 107mm English thread
Pedals: Shimano Deore LX PD-M535

Hub Skewers: Shimano Deore XT M737
Rims: Mavic M231, 32 holes
Hubs: Shimano Deore XT HB-M737 (front), Shimano Deore XT FH-M737 (rear), 32 holes
Nipples: Gold alloy
Spokes: Stainless steel, double-butted 15/17g, 267mm front, 266/265mm (drive side) rear
Tyres: Tioga Psycho-K/S "butterscotch", 26 x 1.95
Tubes: ?

Saddle: Vetta SL, manganese rails
Seatpost: Tioga DL2000 29.8 x 350mm
Seatpost Binder: ?

Weight: 11.8kg, including pedals

I do very well remember this bike from the catalogue. Thanks for sharing all the detail pictures. Nice to see this frame up close.

hello - I own one of these Raleigh USA John Tomac but I'm not a bike expert, is there any information regarding value and how to properly ID it, mine looks very similar to yours, I believe its all original, needs 2 x innertubes and the forks need oil, apart from that its in very good condition, the frame says its 22.5 inches - thanks for your help
Hi and happy new year!

Sorry to read you only now. Looking at your bike, the wheels are no more original and the brakesets, brake levers, shifters and grips were replaced too. The Mag 21 fork is defleted; just give it a good oil change and some air. Are you sure about the size? 22.5" seems pretty big w.r.t. the photos.

Hi and happy new year!

Sorry to read you only now. Looking at your bike, the wheels are no more original and the brakesets, brake levers, shifters and grips were replaced too. The Mag 21 fork is defleted; just give it a good oil change and some air. Are you sure about the size? 22.5" seems pretty big w.r.t. the photos.
Hi, thanks very much for your response, please see the attached pic for the frame size, it says size 18 and 22.5 top tube, I assumed this was a 22.5 frame? i had a price forma bike shop to restore/ repair this bike but with non original new forks ( spring type) which until now I was reluctant to do because I wanted to keep the bike original but now i know its far from original i may go ahead as I want to take up riding to improve my fitness, the repair price was 200 Euros, and I paid 60 euros for the bike, so the total is 260 Euros. They will make the bike higher to suit my height of 186cm by adding an extension to the handelbar post to make it 30mm higher, do you think that its worth it for me to get it repaired, remember the total cost is 260 Euros, the cheapest new fairly good bike I can get here is around 300 Euros - thanks again for your help

Attachments

• IMG_9064.jpg
    IMG_9064.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 2
Hi, thanks very much for your response, please see the attached pic for the frame size, it says size 18 and 22.5 top tube, I assumed this was a 22.5 frame? i had a price forma bike shop to restore/ repair this bike but with non original new forks ( spring type) which until now I was reluctant to do because I wanted to keep the bike original but now i know its far from original i may go ahead as I want to take up riding to improve my fitness, the repair price was 200 Euros, and I paid 60 euros for the bike, so the total is 260 Euros. They will make the bike higher to suit my height of 186cm by adding an extension to the handelbar post to make it 30mm higher, do you think that its worth it for me to get it repaired, remember the total cost is 260 Euros, the cheapest new fairly good bike I can get here is around 300 Euros - thanks again for your help
Hi! Sorry again to read you that late, I didn't got an email alert. Your frame size is definitely 18". It's the "length" of the seat tube. 22.5" is the length of the top tube. My 20" MT700 also has a 22.5" top tube. I'm 182cm and 20" is a perfect fit for me. So 18" is probably too small for you. Ideally, you should ride a 21" frame, but try by yourself: it may suit your needs in the end. W.r.t. the repairs, ask to keep the old parts. So that when the vintage virus will hit you again, you'll be able to put some of the parts back. At least the original Rock Shox Mag 21 forks, once properly serviced. They're easy to work with. About the other non-period correct components, don't worry: the original Deore LX brakesets and brake levers, Deore XT hubs and Gripshift SRT500R shifters are relatively easy to find. Original Mavic M 231 rims in good riding conditions are getting scarce, but can be found nevertheless. The parts the more difficult to locate are the ATI Tomac grips in translucent color. Your Eleonores ;).

Last edited:
Back