94 Kona Lava Dome ... 7 day project

That looks awesome. I had one of these new and absolutely loved it (til the frame snapped...)

How on earth did you get everything so shiny?

Reactions: enc
R9BZQcP.jpg

1x9ETzH.jpg

Despite best effort, after a couple of tries in the caustic, the coating would not come off the brake calipers. so mate picked up these generic cantis for now. The full set is only a few grams heavier than both sets that came with the bike. It also saved me quite a bit of work

kQwlLDo.jpg

3ixO1M6.jpg

The plan was to repaint the crank arms but as this will get regular use repainting would have looked a bit crap after a couple of rides so i polished the arms instead. Should be easy to keep on top of with autosol note the absence of chain slap rash :)

AEqEb51.jpg

The paintwork is in pretty good condition. Some of the previous stone chips had been touched in and I touched in the remainder but we need to find a better colour match. There are absolutely no paint worms which is rare for a Kona of this vintage. The original decal set is in excellent condition.

Paint cut with farecla G3 polished with auto finesse and sealed with techniq c2v3. The clear coat on this frame is super thick the gloss after 27 years being a testament to the original paint quality.

bO7KpDC.jpg

with the manitous having lots of nooks and crannies restoring the gleam was tricky and time-consuming lots of poking about with cotton buds produced fair results to be fair, they’ve come up better than I expected. Bearings regreased.

wErfcfW.jpg

The original Tioga rear tyre was completely shot and binned. The front though serviceable was replaced with a like for like Kenda a rear specific also fitted.

Hubs, stripped and degreased..

KP6OQdA.jpg

cXZzHvN.jpg

Seat post stripped and polished. blue anodizing stripped from the seat clamp red anodizing stripped from quick-release arm , polished.

gWL75e9.jpg

Brake leavers detailed and new grips fitted..

VokE7w9.jpg

I stripped and repainted the bars, The Stems a bit Rusty , I tried to clean as best I could but realistically, it needs a repaint. Shame to loose the original decals.. something for a future update maybe!?

Parts replaced
Tyres
Cables
Chain
Brake blocks/callipers
Bar grips.
So, completed within a week …mission accomplished.

My mate (owner) is chuffed with it so that’s what counts..seems keen to keep it maintained, we’ll see 😂 pictures out in the wild to follow

Last edited:
How did you get the black paint stripped off the canti brakes?
Did you use a stipper or sandpaper?
I think I mentioned, tried soaking them in caustic soda but it wouldn’t touch the coating. Considered sanding them but realised it would have been a ball ache getting into the nooks and crannies .. they were miss matched anyway so the owner picked up a new set of generic callipers for now. They work fine and are only slightly heavier than the odd pair it came with.

Back