94 GT Zaskar, new stickers 20/12/09.

Awe inspiring, and simply stunning build. This was the bike I always hankered after, as a teenager, so there will always be a soft spot for them.

Can't believe that fantastic shiny finish you've got, in the pics of the first thread.

Top project, I'll be watching thisone intently. :)
steve

jimihendrix":p3zijjrw said:
Pickle":p3zijjrw said:
Do me a favour though, nice as those forks are, please get some Mag 20/21's and do it justice ;)

Funny you should mention that :LOL: , there's a nice set of 21's in the for sale section i've been umming and aahhing over for the last ten minutes or so, pretty much up to my spend limit though.

This site will ruin me i swear :LOL:

You know it makes sense ;)

Zaskar + 21's = the law :cool:

Got this finished thismorning :D

zask1.jpg

zask2.jpg

Wish it could stay this clean.

rearmech.jpg

Improvised Canti hanger, not pretty but it's solid. (original Canti hangers for the BAM forks are as rare as hens teeth sha* out of a rocking horses ar*e).

cantihanger.jpg

Should be a good contrast to the fully rigid single speed E3 (a shiny partner too :LOL:), notice how lower the front end is on the Zaskar though, both bikes have the same length and rise stems .

e3zaskar.jpg

Itching to ride it but have decided to wait till the stickers are on (will post pics then too), also has the too short steerer problem so wont be anything wild until i get that sorted anyway, have been offered a steerer extender so will give that a try.

Looks great jimi, will look the dugs with the stickers and much as pickle is right about the rs forks, those are way better and as it's a rider you don't need to get all a@*$ about it mind you I would defo get the steerer extended and the canti hanger is a bit brutal next to that bridge and luverly shiny frame- v brakes or is that evil?

GT-Steve":dlzrgsk7 said:
Awe inspiring, and simply stunning build. This was the bike I always hankered after, as a teenager, so there will always be a soft spot for them.

Can't believe that fantastic shiny finish you've got, in the pics of the first thread.

Top project, I'll be watching this one intently. :)
steve

wouldnt quite put it in the 'awe inspiring' category (theres stuff on this site that would make your bowels drop out and hide) but if you like the Zaskar, have a pic of mine to compare to Mr.Hendrixs'

zaskar_in_the_herb_garden_173.jpg

zask1.jpg

jimihendrix":1vu1l55l said:
Improvised Canti hanger, not pretty but it's solid. (original Canti hangers for the BAM forks are as rare as hens teeth sha* out of a rocking horses ar*e).
You do see Zs for sale sometimes with hangers - you could always buy fork you don't need, remove hanger, sell fork you don't need.

jimihendrix":1vu1l55l said:
Should be a good contrast to the fully rigid single speed E3 (a shiny partner too :LOL:), notice how lower the front end is on the Zaskar though, both bikes have the same length and rise stems.

Itching to ride it but have decided to wait till the stickers are on (will post pics then too), also has the too short steerer problem so wont be anything wild until i get that sorted anyway, have been offered a steerer extender so will give that a try.
I think the steerer is too short, and I'm not sure an extender is going to be good unless you want to go a lot higher with plenty of stackers. Solutions are either use a shallower stem like below or replace the steerer (it's only a press fit, anyone with a pneumatic press should be able to do it for you). New steerers are £30 from CR, and funnily enough I refused the offer of a used one not long ago because I didn't need it (sorry!)

Bike looks good to me. I like the size 16 shape, and it'll look great with its stickers on.

Attachments

• Pace RC45 side.jpg
    Pace RC45 side.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 852
Anthony":1sq6r9zc said:
jimihendrix":1sq6r9zc said:
You do see Zs for sale sometimes with hangers - you could always buy fork you don't need, remove hanger, sell fork you don't need.

jimihendrix":1sq6r9zc said:
Should be a good contrast to the fully rigid single speed E3 (a shiny partner too :LOL:), notice how lower the front end is on the Zaskar though, both bikes have the same length and rise stems.

I think the steerer is too short, and I'm not sure an extender is going to be good unless you want to go a lot higher with plenty of stackers. Solutions are either use a shallower stem like below or replace the steerer (it's only a press fit, anyone with a pneumatic press should be able to do it for you). New steerers are £30 from CR, and funnily enough I refused the offer of a used one not long ago because I didn't need it (sorry!)

Bike looks good to me. I like the size 16 shape, and it'll look great with its stickers on.

Cheers,

The BAM hangers must still be rare though, it came as a seperate bolt on part, V-brakes were in full swing and discs were getting popular in 98 so i'd guess a lot of the hangers got chucked in the bin.

Was hoping the steerer extender would'nt raise the stem too much, could use maybe 1/2 of spacers but probably no more, i do have another single bolt stem that fits better (the Syncros stems look good but are very deep), will maybe try that for now till i can get the problem sorted.

jimihendrix":2kjw4xkd said:
Been offered a steerer extender though so may give that a try.

ohh so i did :oops: drop me your address and i'll post it to you ;)

bike looks really nice , you gona fit decals to it ?

big.eck":eyzmu7sa said:
jimihendrix":eyzmu7sa said:
Been offered a steerer extender though so may give that a try.

ohh so i did :oops: drop me your address and i'll post it to you ;)

bike looks really nice , you gona fit decals to it ?

Yeah, stickers are on order from Gil-m ;)

Been doing a bit of research on steerer extenders, is it an 1.1/8 steerer extender or converter to use an 1.1/8 ahead stem on an inch threaded steerer ?, is the expander wedge and bolt seperate from the star washer in the top ?

Any chance of a pic ?

Appreciate the offer but dont want you going to the hassle of posting it out if i wont use it.

Back