'93 Trek 830 Antelope SS

TerryParadise

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
I saw this beauty come up on Marketplace and couldn't help myself. I think I'm actually addicted to the rush one gets when telling the other half "er, I just got another frame... it was super cheap and look how amazing the pain job is!!!!" - you know you're going to get in trouble but you're also an adult so you can handle it.

The justification required for another bike is thus: I told my partner that seeing as how my geared off road bike is too capable for our rides together it would be better if I hobbled myself by riding a singlespeed - that way we both can struggle riding up hills side by side instead of me always waiting at the top shouting quasi-inspirationally down to her. By making the new purchase about her I think I managed to pull this one off.

This is what drew me in:

Marketplace ad 3.jpg

I'm not really fussed about the condition of the paint, it's an old cheap frame, and I think it looks great as it is.

The plan for this is all black components and singlespeed. Trying for 90's components where possible, but I'll be using V brakes for sure and a quill-ahead adaptor. I know the purists have stopped reading this by now - at least I'm not going for a modern 1x11 drivetrain!

Once I got it home I swapped out the headset for a Tange Seiki and installed the Shimano BB-UN300.
The lack of a workshop is still rather annoying but it's only a temporary location and I know I'll look back with fond memories of the days I used to assemble bikes in our bedsit.

IMG_2170 copy.JPG

I had an 850 which if I recall correctly only differed from this in that it had a beefier fork. I was a really nice bike -- rode much better than the price would suggest. Will watch the build with interest.

Fitted the bars / stem / quill adapter:

IMG_2171 copy.JPG

Like an idiot I failed to clean out the inside of the steerer tube so it was a real job trying to get the quill inserted fully. Luckily I had a load of spacers on hand. I'll take it apart and do it properly at some point, for now just getting everything built to see if it looks like I imagined it.

Wheels / tires / V brakes installed:

IMG_2183 copy.JPG

And finally for today, fitted the chainring and cranks. Checked the spacing on the cassette and annoyingly the sprocket has to be right on the end up against the lockring if I want the chainring on the outside of the spider (which does look better). I went for the bb axle length as specified by Shimano (68x113 IIRC) but I should really have measured the chainline. Oh well. If it's an issue I can use the other side of the spider or just get a smaller bb.

Good news is that the chain shouldn't need a tensioner, I used the magic gear calculator again and it came up with 46-18 which I have fitted.

IMG_2201 copy.JPG

And it's done!

Stupid me didn't bother truing the wheels before fitting them so they'll need doing but apart from that it's feeling pretty good. The gear is a little high for off roading I think, i'll really struggle with hills but I guess that's the point...
I may swap tires over with my Hardrock so that this becomes the road bike and it becomes the dirt bike but I love the look of this with the off road tires on it. Who knows, I guess time will tell.

Anyway - enough waffle - here it is!

IMG_2217 copy.JPG

IMG_2219 copy.JPG

IMG_2218 copy.JPG

IMG_2220 copy.JPG

And for those that care:

Frame: 1993 Trek Antelope 830
Fork: Trek
Headset: Tange Seiki
Stem: Kore Aheadlite
Handlebar: Kore Litebar
Grips: Ritchey Comp Trail
Brakes: Shimano LX BR-M570
Brake Pads: Unbranded
Brake Cables: Jagwire
Brake Levers: Shimano BL-M739 (black/black DIY specials)
Cassette: 18t Singlespeed kit + spacers
Chain: Wippermann 100
Cranks: Shimano FC-M560
Chainring: Stronglight Dural 5083 46t
Bottom Bracket: Shimano BB-UN300
Pedals: Black alloy pedals
QR Skewers: Shimano
Rims: Mavic 117 Sup CD
Hubs: Shimano XT M737
Tyres: Panaracer Trailraker 1.95”
Tubes: Schwalbe AV13
Saddle: Trek System 1