92 Kilauea resto

minor_LEGEND

Senior Retro Guru
Here's a Kona I've wanted in my stable for a long time. The first of the Kilauea model, not featured in the catalogue but introduced mid-year. Unusual.

This 'donor' cropped up on here. I'm not best pleased with my purchase but it is what it is. No pictures pre-strip as I was not particularly happy about it, but I've pulled it apart & she has come apart easily with no fight from the b/b or seatpost which by rights ought to have been stuck solid.

Here it is ready for the boot of the car.

IMG_20231018_135605_5.jpg

Bar & stem not as durable as the decal.

IMG_20231018_135621_0.jpg

The Blue fork.
IMG_20231018_135659_5.jpg

It's pretty beat-up as is evident. I've dropped it off at the powder coaters & found RAL 5022 to be a perfect match. I thought I had a pic with their sample next to the frame but it's not on my phone. It should take a week or so until ready. I plan to tart-up the Impact headset & blast & paint the bars & Velocity myself.

My daughter has a 92 Kilauea, I plan on giving it a once over next summer. Watching yours with interest.

Yup, the black Paint on the forks and stem of the 91/92 models seem very porous and rust prone.

I have instructed the powder coater to do the forks in Black this time around. In my eyes they look better in Black on this vintage of Kona. I have a set of the correct Joe Murray tyres which go so well with the Black of the forks & cockpit.

Maybe some more photos later.

:cool: Looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

For me the fact they used colour matched forks unlike any other model makes it unique and looks better in my eyes. Great frames, built to be the next years Cinder Cone/Lava Dome frame.

Watching with interest.
Did the early Kilauea’s all come with blue forks or did they also come with black forks?

Yup, the black Paint on the forks and stem of the 91/92 models seem very porous and rust prone.

I need to locate a powder coater for a 91 fork for my Explosif as they are right tatty as well.

minor_LEGEND who in Somerset are you using and I'm guessing you've used them before?

I too also have the same f&f as a project for my eldest daughter. Her's is a size 18". I got the f&f about 5 years ago for myself however, it was a smidge on the smaller size for me and ended up putting it in the rafters. Got the velocity stem too. The condition I got it in was poor to fair on the paint, loads of chips which I have recently touched up with almost matching paint. The one thing that I have noticed compared to other Kona models of similar age is that most mk1 Kilaueas I have seen have not been looked after and aesthetically have not faired well.
Looking forward to seeing how your Kilauea turns out.

I need to locate a powder coater for a 91 fork for my Explosif as they are right tatty as well.

minor_LEGEND who in Somerset are you using and I'm guessing you've used them before?
I am using PCL in Bridgwater. They aren't the cheapest but are capable of high quality finishes. This will be the 4th frame I've taken to them I think.
The std forks were Blue as in the photo's, but I'm exercising some artistic license in having them done in Black. Gil will be getting an order for the repro graphics set.

My dad has the '92 Kilauea in this colour scheme, I have the '96. Every time I go into the shed and see his colour matched fork it makes me a little jealous! I would stick with it personally, but it's your call, excited to see your build regardless

Latest posts

Back