90's Record brifters compatible with "new" brakes?

th0m

Dirt Disciple
Was thinking about maybe upgrading the brake calipers on my bike with 8-speed Record. While it's of course nice to keep everything period correct, this bike is going to be a user, and modern brakes are almost always better. Would it be possible to use a more current set of campag calipers with the old 8-speed brifters without issues?

short answer, yes there's no compatibility issues between campag callipers.

longer answer, for best performance you probaby want a 2000- dual pivot calliper. Any Campag 'Skeleton' type calliper is a bit more modern looking but far better and easier to set up well than the older central single pivot ones.

Re:

There were also 10 speed gruppo calipers that were dual pivot, but not skeleton, if you don't like the skeleton look, which personally I don't. Never owned any, but skeleton look like they would be good for displaying road muck in the hollows, unless one is a meticulous bike cleaner

Re: Re:

pigman":nno245xf said:
There were also 10 speed gruppo calipers that were dual pivot, but not skeleton, if you don't like the skeleton look, which personally I don't. Never owned any, but skeleton look like they would be good for displaying road muck in the hollows, unless one is a meticulous bike cleaner
I'm quite meticulous ;)

However, I think the most recent version of Record and Chorus are perhaps a bit more elegant than the former "skeleton" brakes. Might go with those.
81hcAx9-ByL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-NOS- ... SwEfJe6k5J

these are pretty expensive for Athena tbh but equally, there's not much practical difference between models during this era-I've got some 2000ish Chorus 10spd ones on my Tommasini and they look identical to the Record model of the previous year and the slightly later Athenas

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Back