9 speed chain on 8 speed transmission ?

eBay_special

Devout Dirtbag
Good evening experts,

I'm sure there must be many here that have tried this, so I guess the answer may be quick and simple?
I have an 8-speed c-record drivetrain that uses Campagnolo Record 8-speed ergo shifters and 8-speed Ti exa-drive cassette....and I now have a tired SRAM 8-speed chain.

The nicer chains [drilled, slotted, lighter, sexier and gold a la old Sedis] are made in the narrower 9-speed dimension; current 8-speed being very staid by comparison.

Question is, can I use a 9-speed chain without loss of shifting quality or am I best to stick with the same old same old ?

All guidance, experience and observations most gratefully received.
Many thanks,

ebay_special

My personal experience is that you can do exactly that with no issues. I did it because I was running a 9-speed mech which needed the narrower chain.

Mark.

Thanks so much for feedback,

So that's one 'yes' and one 'no' so far.....
Perhaps chain brand matters?
Internal chamfering of plates, slightly bulged to assist tooth catch - perhaps these things matter?
Maybe Connex, SRAM, Campagnolo and Shimano work well and the KMC basic design [with it's flat plates] doesn't - any thoughts here?

It was the KMC X9 SL I was interested in too.

thanks again,

HG73 (9 speed) does not sit well on other 8 speed Shimano kit...it turns, but doesn't sit well. Rather like Cognac and All Bran.

Back