8Freight Cargo bike - restoration / project

That's a good idea. and maybe a drop of solder over it.
Nar, soldiering a cable is a bitch, you need bakers fluid as a cleaner and a decent flux. It's not needed anyway, the strands tighten as you pull, once it's spliced its only coming loose if unwind it.

@LunarBike great update! Good to see this develop in such a short space of time and nothing is ever that simple. You must have some serious space to store x3 cargo bikes! We have one and it's constantly in the way!

This makes me feel all warm and fuzzy to see such rapid and great progress. Nice one!

Also, relief, as some of these fixes go beyond my skillset; I'd have been stuck!!

This makes me feel all warm and fuzzy to see such rapid and great progress. Nice one!

Also, relief, as some of these fixes go beyond my skillset; I'd have been stuck!!
Cheers Joe, In fairness, you got most of the rust off, and that is the heavy lifting. I started making the jockey pulley today, I had a bit of plastic rod and I have the ones on the other bikes to model it off. So I spent a bit of time on the lathe and have a start made. I also managed to get a massive 8 speed 32-11 on the back. I think it is that speed, It wouldn't fit because of the mount for the derailleur hanger, so I licked it with the angle grinder and it fits. The helicoil kit came for the hanger too, so that is done and a new derailleur fitted. So it is just that jockey wheel and the gear cable and I should have a running bike.

bit bigger, but you get the idea.

I'm not sure I'm up for that level of restoration. I imagine a hub and a wheel rebuild is safer. I reckon that the aluminium around the liner is too thin to get the liner out. I suspect that these hubs are cast around the liner. As it is I plan on leaving the hub as it is and seeing what happens. The bike has one new set of brake pads and one reused from my daily 8freight. The brakes were squeaky on my daily, and with new brakes they are not. But even with squeaks they were still stopping. So I reckon this one will be fine!

The axles should definitely come out but I know it doesn't look that way at a glance. Everything is pretty much press fitted, as MB generally kept securing collars to a minimum. Even the hub bearings only got a smudge of Loctite at the very most! Tapping out gently but firmly is normally the only option.

My broken axle tool thing had a complete taper on one side still, so I could use that to pop out the rear wheel axles with little bother, or damage to the hub.
Hi Joe. we got all the welding done on the yellow 8 freight, and I started rebuilding the front wheel today. It got a new chain and an appropriate derailleur and I gave it an old skool thumby. It should be done when I get the wheel together. I have put some videos of it on my Youtube channel.
Cheers

hanger repair options

timcert

or helicoil

I think the liner could be machined if you are willing to strip the wheel to hub only. better yet would be to machine it back and put an insert in (pressure fit) but that's pretty invasive really.
That helicoil kit arrived and it worked beautifully today! another step closer!

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
@LunarBike great update! Good to see this develop in such a short space of time and nothing is ever that simple. You must have some serious space to store x3 cargo bikes! We have one and it's constantly in the way!
I'm not sure how I will manage. I am well over 10 bikes and a vintage Linear recumbent. So these three will be in the way. I wonder if some kind of vertical storage could be possible!

Back