88..Trekker Gear Cable vs U Brake query

Corblimeyguv

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi everyone :)

I'm plodding along nicely with my 88....Trekker build. I've started cabling up the rear mech and come across this situation.
The gear cable is really close to the U Brake, should it be this near to it ? The plastic BB shell cable guide is worn alas I don't have a triple unit to try but don't think it's the cause tbh.

Anyone have one of these bikes that we could compare setups?

Thanks.

Attachments

• 20200903_202503.jpg
    20200903_202503.jpg
    537.1 KB · Views: 770
  • 20200903_202511.jpg
    20200903_202511.jpg
    383.5 KB · Views: 770
Re:

Is it supposed to go through the little hole on the brake boss? Maybe not but I have a vague memory of seeing that before...

Re: 89 Trekker Gear Cable vs U Brake query

Yep, almost sure it is supposed to go through the hole, never had a Trekker, but an old Centurion with a rollercam, which used that.

Re:

I tried routing it through the brake boss but I wasn't impressed with the 'smoothness' of it. The cable alignment was poor in my opinion but I will try it connected up tomorrow.

Also, I was convinced it was wrong as both bosses have the hole so thought it was part of the manufacturing process.

Thanks for replying gents, much appreciated.

Re:

My Trekker is a year later so has the U-brake mounted on the seat stays, which on its own isn't much help (though I think the bosses still have the holes in and they're no use for cable routing up there). But the original Shimano brake blocks mine came with are the low profile grey ones with threaded studs and hex nuts. They're about half the thickness of the ones you've got, so the back of the block would be further away from that gear cable. The thicker blocks with the tapped hole and Allen bolt like yours go with the Exage cantilevers from around the same time, which my bike has on the front.
Edit: Looking more closely at your second picture that probably wouldn't solve where the cable is rubbing on the brake caliper, so it's not much of a solution. Maybe that hole would help with cable routing after all.

Re:

Is there something simple that i'm failing to see ? Are the U brakes front/rear specific ?
Have I committed a 'schoolboy error' and fitted something wrong ?

I'll upload some extra pics of it later as-is and i'm sure someone will lambast me for doing something daft :LOL:

Re:

Don't know about the cable but isn't that a 88 rather than 89? Both my 89's had the U on the seat stays and were 21 speed.

Re:

Dunno, may be an 88, could be an 89.

I have a Trekker Comp where the U Brake is on the stays so maybe that's an 89 and this is an 88 ?

Re:

Doing a quick Google image search for chainstay u-brakes, in most of the pictures where it's visible the rear mech cable does go through that hole.

Back