85 Saracen conquest....what have i started!.....Finished!

Amazing to have you here on the forum with 1st hand knowledge.......thaks for sharing! Was that ATB stripped and sprayed a Ritchey?

I have a slightly weird one, I thought it was a Saracen Conquest, but aparently might be a Citybike, has drum brakes instead of cantis...mid 80's (rear hub os '85 code)., its very beaten up on the paint, but a nice thing..if a bit big for me.....any thoughts?

View attachment 690172

View attachment 690173

View attachment 690174

View attachment 690175
That's lovely.

Amazing to have you here on the forum with 1st hand knowledge.......thaks for sharing! Was that ATB stripped and sprayed a Ritchey?

I have a slightly weird one, I thought it was a Saracen Conquest, but aparently might be a Citybike, has drum brakes instead of cantis...mid 80's (rear hub os '85 code)., its very beaten up on the paint, but a nice thing..if a bit big for me.....any thoughts?

View attachment 690172

View attachment 690173

View attachment 690174

View attachment 690175
I’ve copied these photos. I’m talking to my dad tomorrow. I’ll get what info I can for you if that’s ok?

That yellow frame is exactly the deatil im interested in. It appears on the 84 and before bikes, then is replaced the a more normal bridge. Those bikes all seemed to carry suntour kit.

85 on, its swapped to shimano m700 ( like mine in black) and the bridge changed...

Internet wisdom was that this was the mark of knights construction......so very interested to know the truth. 20220701_105047.jpg

1672263885919.png

Interesting to know as mine still has the original tyres (not fitted) they were Hutchinsons......as per the 85 spec on the advert.

Bicycle tyres do last if looked after

I have two bikes with tires that are still in regular use that are now over 30 years old

Tires tyres tire'sis what I say!

Yes. The Hutchinsons are still very usable, just not very grippy tyres! Few light cracks, but very rideable still.

I think its mainly down to storage conditions.

Fabulous thread, fabulous bike restoration project with amazing detailed progress report AND outcome.

ALSO really good that someone with firsthand knowledge of the ‘origin story’ is willing to post.

The history of Saracen has been stated - and corrected - before.

”The following additional information was received from Elaine Dunn (Staples) on 6 October 2010 – Alvin has modified the page to take account of this:“

Now it looks like there will be extra details and answers to Retrobikers questions!

Thanks to all involved.

One minor detail to be corrected is that Richard is Nick Crane’s cousin - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicholas_Crane

I believe this is a Saracen Sherpa from 1984? (my guess)
Just wondering what this is worth.
I am in the middle of doing a quick restore back to rough original.
The paint isn't in the best of condition however the headset, bb and running gear are immaculate .

Thanks for your help

Attachments

• IMG_6982.jpg
    IMG_6982.jpg
    977.7 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_6983.jpg
    IMG_6983.jpg
    589.9 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_6984.jpg
    IMG_6984.jpg
    325.6 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_6986.jpg