80s stratton Roberts frame

I'm interested!.

although that is mainly because I've just picked up a Roberts built Youngs Grandini that, if i'm deciphering the frame number correctly, appears to have been built just 28 frames after yours.

Unsuprisingly it shares many of the features on your frame, fastback stays, chainstay bridge shape, lug type and portacatena rear dropout. I'll post a pic or two if you're interested?.

I'm thinking of a respray and lug-lining for mine, with some decals from H. Lloyd.

Have you weighed the frame and forks?, I'd be interested to hear what they are if you have.

Cheers Matt

Hi Matt.

Thanks for your message, how ARE you interpreting the serial? mine was sold to me as confirmed Roberts but I didn't confirm anything myself if you see what I mean.

Last time I checked the main point of this whole forum was to post pictures of your bike. Yes, pictures please.

Frame 1860g
Fork 707
Headset races still attached. Pretty good for a 23 1/2 inch frame...

Hi Mike,

thanks for the frame weights, it'll be interesting to see how mine, a 56 x 56 supposedly in 531c, compares.

As for serial number deciphering, I believe it is 2 digits for year, followed by 1 or 2 digits for month, followed by number of frame built that month. so yours should be the 8th frame built in July 1984. Hope that makes sense!.

I've read online somewhere that you can contact Roberts with the frame number and they'll share the build details with you, it costs though.

Matt

So failing father Christmas providing 1984 dura ace, I'm going with 105 golden arrow mechs and brakes, stronglight 49d cranks, suntour barcons and shimano 600 non aero levers.

What is recommended regarding headsets. Im a big fan of casette bearings and the vintage 80s ones seem to cost more than something new...

I have a pair of rather scruffy 8 speed campag hubs laced to cxp30s. Not period but I wouldn't get much selling them and the (cartridge!) bearings are perfect and I have a 13-28 casette on them which with the 46-35 chainrings should yeild plenty of easy hill gearing. I suppose they're probably quite heavy though...

I know I could get period wheels but honestly I don't like messing about with cup and cone, I know they're supposed to be smoother etc but it seems to me only if they're greased and set up perfectly. All the time...

Well I've grudgingly come to the conclusion that this frame too small for me. Im riding my 24" ctt flying gate at the moment and the Roberts is only 60cm. It's not much but I don't want to be riding anything smaller than the gate. If anyone is interested in buying the Stratton please get in touch. Especially if you have something similar in a larger size!

Well in the end I decided this was too nice a frame to abandon and I should be able to get a comfortable fit, so it went off to Steve Goff for all the repairs. I've had the forks rechromed in Birmingham, haven't seen them yet. C and G are respraying in black with gold lining and Stratton decals in black and gold. Pretty excited!

Well it's all back and am very pleased even though I've spent a good bit!

How looking should I wait for the enamel to harden before building it up?

Is there a wax polish or something I can use to protect the enamel and chrome from the weather?View attachment 633955

Attachments

• 20220608_161753.jpg
    20220608_161753.jpg
    332.4 KB · Views: 7
I use good quality carnauba wax. It does a decent job and the shine lasts a few good months. A tub goes a looooong way too.
Beautiful frame by the way!

Back