80s steel CX frame - origins?

David B

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
I recently acquired this frameset through the London Fixed Gear & Single Speed (LFGSS) forum to replace my alloy/carbon Voodoo that was wrecked during my last race. It's in need of a bit of TLC but basically sound, and still in a fit state to ride which is an improvement on its predecessor!

I'm not sure if the "diamond fade" paint job and Guerciotti decals are original, as the frame is made of Reynolds tubing (decals missing but can still see their outline), probably 531c and the BB threading is English; there's no characteristic Guerciotti engraving either.

I'm assuming it's fairly high-spec as the cable routing is quite complex, it has neat cut-out lugwork, adjustable rear dropouts (unbranded) and details such as a chain hanger on the R/H seatstay.

The seller thinks it might be a Cliff Shrubb, sadly I cannot find a frame number anywhere. However, I've attached a few pics to the message if anyone might be able to help identify it. If not, no problem - just looking forward to getting it repainted and built up.

Best wishes,
David

Attachments

• Photo0024.jpg
    Photo0024.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 518
  • Photo0026.jpg
    Photo0026.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 518
  • Photo0044.jpg
    Photo0044.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 518
  • Photo0045.jpg
    Photo0045.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 518
Not a "gurru" if it was it would have been Columbus tubing & Italian threading If it was genuine & steel ( high end)it would have been constructed by "Andreas Mondonico" away of telling if this was so is the lugs would be pinned so in the BB if you carefully feel up the down/seat tubes you should feel the "nails" poking through to the insides to hold the frame in position prior to brazing

I remember seeing ads in Cycling weekly with frames that had that lattice paintjob. I'm pretty sure they were from Deeside Cycles

Back