80's Chas Roberts

prole art threat

Dirt Disciple
Thought I'd share my new build, although I imagine it's going to be a long drawn-out process to get it to where I want it to be. I've just got to the first incarnation, you know, bits laying about to make it ridable stage, but still got a couple of parts lying around that need fitting.

Frame and Fork: Chas Roberts 531c, 57cm c-t-c
(Late-ish 80's? I've been unable to ascertain the exact year)

Headset: Stronglight A9 Hinault? (To be replaced with Campag headset I've got)
Stem: Cinelli XA
Bars: Cinelli Giro D'Italia 64-40

Brake Levers: Campagnolo Chorus
Brake Calipers: Shimano 600EX (To be replaced with a set of Campag Chorus monoplaners I've got)

Shifters: Campagnolo C-Record? Syncro 6-speed
Front Derailleur: Campagnolo C-Record?
Rear Derailleur: Campagnolo C-Record (2nd Gen I guess?)

Block: Shimano 6 speed
Chain: SRAM PC890
Cranks: Campagnolo Chorus?
Chainrings: Campagnolo 52-42
Pedals: Campagnolo Chorus

Rims: Mavic G40
Hubs: Mavic 500RD?

Seatpost: Campagnolo Chorus
Saddle: Cinelli Volare SLX

I'm looking to replace the wheelset with a set of Campag Chorus or C-Records, although I've got a set of C-Record tubs that I may try out. I'm a little undecided about tubs though.

The Syncro gears are predictably temperamental, I'm tempted to switch to a 7-speed friction set-up.

5775740952_f05500d55a_b.jpg

Sorry a bit light on photos at the minute, my camera isn't the best.

Very nice proud bike :)

From what I can see the cranks look more like Athena to me.

Very nice - and an intriguing paint job. In the photos it almost looks like grooved tubing but as it's 531 it can't be.

My Buzz lo-pro has those cranks - I think! Chorus, Athena, Croce D'aune - they all look the same to me!

lovely bike

Great paint job - really unusual.

I am at the same stage of building up an early 90s Roberts SLX.
So far the ride is sweet and handling nimble, but the components are a little way to go before being a reliable daily commute bike!

Good luck with your build - look forward to seeing more pics in the future...

WOW....It reminds me of a mates Roberts of the same era that was painted like yours only in yellow and white, and it was kitted out with full C-Record and Sigma rims. His was like yours....stunning!!

Elev12k":ok78irvx said:
Very nice proud bike :)

From what I can see the cranks look more like Athena to me.

Thanks for the kind words guys. I'll try get some more photos next week, but more will come over the course of the build I guess.

I think you're right, although equally they could be Croce d'Aune, although the dustcaps seem to indicate they're Athena.

Back