7 and 8 speed Indexing query

eBay_special

Devout Dirtbag
A small conundrum I'm sure some wise old owl on here will know?

Bike has 1992 ST-MO71 Deore DX rapidfire push-button shifters without any friction option.
My question relates to the RH shifter assembly.
As you click, the detente/ball bearing within the shifter dictates the amount of indexed movement at the rear mech. The bike has an 8 speed cassette instead of a 7 and whilst trying to set this up, it appears that the indexation will never match the sprocket spacing on that cassette?
Am I right or am I missing something here?
Can this system; 7 spd with 8 rear sprockets ever work correctly and if 'NO', what are the required changes; cassette, chain, both?

All help and advice gratefully received!

A thousand 'thank you's',

ebay_special

The indexing is the same for 7 and 8 speed, so the indexing will work, but you can only use 7 speeds.

As above. The spacing for 7 and 8 speed cassettes will be the same so you'd be best off getting a 7 speed block rather than carting around an extra sprocket that you can't get to with your shifter.

8 speed

with 6 speed -you sometimes gained an extra or 'secret' notch that made a 7speed poss-proper 7speed i dont think has an extra notch :?

you're best getting a 7sp cassette or 8speed rh

Set the mech to run from the largest to the 7th smallest and leave it at that. How often do you ever use the smallest cog anyway? The cog-spacing and indexing is exactly the same on both cassettes.

SP

The other posts aren't correct. 7 speed has a sprocket pitch of 5.0mm, 8 speed has 4.8mm. So they are not (strictly) compatible.

HOWEVER, because of the floaty top jockey wheel, you can usually get an 8 speed cassette to index satisfactorily with a 7s thumbshifter - the so-called 'hidden click'.

BUT: you need cables in good condition (especially outers) and also it's best set up from gear 3 being dead centre rather than gear 7.

hamster":3d1ntwpj said:
The other posts aren't correct. 7 speed has a sprocket pitch of 5.0mm, 8 speed has 4.8mm. So they are not (strictly) compatible.

HOWEVER, because of the floaty top jockey wheel, you can usually get an 8 speed cassette to index satisfactorily with a 7s thumbshifter - the so-called 'hidden click'.

BUT: you need cables in good condition (especially outers) and also it's best set up from gear 3 being dead centre rather than gear 7.
Ditto. Absolutely. Perfect post.

Back