58cm Daniel Jacotey F&F £125 BIN Preston

LondonClassic

Retro Guru

Camus 779 tubing, double seat bolt action from a now gone small volume builder in Picardy. Unsure if les filetages sont Français ou Anglais? Probably Français.

jacotey.JPG

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
There's lots to like about that. I've never seen two seat bolts on a frame, or heard of Camus tubing, so everyday really is a school day round here...

Innit. Hard not to be philosophical about it ;)

As someone with a degree in philosophy I'm upset I missed the opportunity for an existentialist cycling-related joke there myself
😆 .

I've always found it interesting/curious that the French, with their love of keeping their bikes generally as thoroughly French as possible, still tended to use Reynolds tubing for road bikes. For example, even though Peugeot used Carbolite tubing for their cheaper models, it was 531 for the better ones. I guess Camus were a much smaller scale producer, and so just didn't have the easy availability (and presumably lower cost) of Reynolds tubing?

On the other hand, British bikes very often had French Nervex lugs, of course...

I think Reynolds 531 as seamless tubing was considered boss hog by both builders and punters. What little info there is around seems to suggest Camus tubing was readily available (in France) and easy to work with. It's natural competition was maybe Vitus. Peugeot and the like could probably endure the considerable hassle to get 531 and buy in bulk.

Anyway, aside from all that having Camus on a little sticker just seems right for a French bike.

Back