Wanted 56cm steel frameset in great condition

onegoodbike

Merlin Fan
Feedback
View
Evening all,

This is probably a big ask but I'm gonna stick it here just in case I get lucky!.

I've spent the summer haring about on an early 90s 653 frameset and thoroughly enjoyable it has been too. It's on the cosmetically challenged side so as winter approaches I've been thinking of getting it refurbed, trouble is by the time you add up prep, painting, and re-chroming it's going to get pricey.

So I thought I'd see if anyone has a nice quality steel frameset in great condition they'd like to sell instead.

What I'm hoping to find......

56cm C-C top tube for preference (anywhere between 55cm-56.5cm for the seat tube is cool).

Ideally built with Something along the lines of 653, 753, 853, Neuron, Nemo, Genius or Max

Campagnolo dropouts or similar quality.

It'd be nice if it had chromed dropouts and right chainstay (but not a deal breaker for the right frame).

1" threaded steerer preferred.

Lugged or fillet brazed.

Quality builder.

130mm rear spacing.

Finally, like I've said in the title in really nice condition, doesn't have to be NOS, but nice enough that I don't need to do anything other than spend a few winter days transferring the parts over.

Thanks for taking the time to read this right to the end. I look forward to hearing from you if you think you have something that will fit the bill.

Cheers Matt

Last edited:
I love the fact that you love 653. It's such a good ride. I don't think I can help you but if I see anything suitable I'll be sure to link you!

Hi Matt, my 653 Ribble is listed in the road for sale forum...I'm considering splitting it, so if the frame alone is of interest to you let me know...it should fit your criteria...here is link to it on ebay...

If you're interested then obviously there would be the option to keep as much of the bike as you want like headset, BB, etc.

Cheers, Chris.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Long overdue bump on this!.

I'm now more leaning towards something with a Columbus tubeset, particularly Neuron or Max. So if you're reading this and happen to have a Merckx MX Leader with a 56cm top tube and in great condition, then please drop me a line :).

Cheers Matt

Hi there - I am about to start downsizing my own collection and offloading spare stock (I do retro builds for other people). I ride 55/56 myself so have a lot of choice for you depending on budget... here's a taster:

Colnago Master Piu in Team Panasonic colours 54.5cm sq
Colnago Master Olympic with Decor pink paint 56cm sq currently 10spd silver Veloce
Colnago Master X-Light (current model) 55cm sq mint condition, ahead steerer
Colnago Massi (Spanish made in Italy not Masi!) Mega Team 55cm sq
Colnago Tecnos Decor 55cm sq
Colnago Tecnos Decor 56cm sq (different pink colourway)
De Rosa Neo Primato in TSX 55cm sq
Gazelle AB in trad blue, 55cm sq
Koga Pro full Max tubeset, 56cm sq, needs respray (had chain stay replaced)
Masi 3V Volumetrica 1986 Italian made 56cm sq
Masi Prestige 1983 F&F had full bare metal Argos rest by previous owner, currently built up with Record 11s but available as F&F if preferred
Pinarello Catena Lusso, needs respray (replaced head lug) 55x56cm
Ron Cooper in SLX, straight leg fork, hidden mudguard mounts 54.5cm sq.
Vani Losa 56cm sq lots of chrome and pantographing
Vitus 980, very lightweight quality French tubes (but BSA threaded 😅) 57x56cm
Zullo Special, SLX, 55cm sq, nice paint design and pantographing.

Some photos: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/f9gzzxuksytc9jj/AABIjyf8xuYtL-rN0BsN9jAsa?dl=0
More photos/details on request

IMG_20200421_183043.jpg
I've just split this to use the parts on a more relaxed geo frame. It's a 1986 Carlton Kermesse reynolds 501 frame, with matching 501 fork and headset. The frame has been powder coated in a glossy 'roundel blue' and the fork (not pictured) is chrome coloured.
It's a 56cm seat tube (c-t) and has a 125mm head tube (for 1" forks).
It has a 126mm rear dropout spacing, but I've run it with modern 130mm wheels with no problems.
It has a derailleur hanger built into the dropout for modern derailleurs and recessed brake bolt holes in the frame and the fork.
I could probably do it for £130 posted, if it's of any interest to you?

Back