27.5 modded 2003 Yeti Fro.. now back to 26

novekili

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Just got back from my Fro's Maiden ride in the Tuscany Hills. Bought this gem from Wynne, together with the Pace fork (great decision).
I went for a gravel kind of setup, with 27.5 wheels and 47 mm tyres. No drop bars, the frame Is too long, but I used barends. The brake levers, an old xt set, help, too, having a long clamp which offers and additional support for a crunched position on flats.
The bike is scary fast on climbs, but the weird thing Is how It mutes Trail chatter. Being it a Yeti alu frame, I expected a harsh ride.. I mounted a suspension stem, but I think the Pace fork helped to take the edge off impacts. I Remember a friend who told me a Pace model used to have a shock absorbing system: does anyone have any info about It?
By the way, very Happy for the purchase. A short list of components. For a 9.9 kilo bike I've used a basic drivetrain: xt shifters, Chinese cranks, slx derailleur, cheap Chinese cassette, Deore chain, old XT brakes, Redshift suspension stem, Ritchey Force bars, wcs barends, Thomson post, ISM saddle, Syncros wheels, Hutchinson 27x650b tubeless tyres, pmp ti QRs. Nothing light, Just what I had in my garage.

Attachments

• IMG20230313094737.jpg
    IMG20230313094737.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 58
Thank you. It's a fun ride. Just enough clearance at the chainstays for a 650b 2" tyre.
I'm very fond of these forks. I don't have any suspension these days and my main ride is this cross bike...
20240413_155350.jpg
So having a 2.4" tyre at the front feels plush to me.

You thought about 26" at the rear and 650b front. That would be fun.

Thank you. It's a fun ride. Just enough clearance at the chainstays for a 650b 2" tyre.
I'm very fond of these forks. I don't have any suspension these days and my main ride is this cross bike...
View attachment 843327
So having a 2.4" tyre at the front feels plush to me.

You thought about 26" at the rear and 650b front. That would be fun.
I did think about it. I'm gonna try it, but Those wheels with Hope hubs are so nice. My friend laced them to Ritchey wcs off centre rim, a nice match also for the front wheel if you consider the disc. But I will try it for sure. I have a Syncros front wheel with 240 internals and a 2" tyre which would be perfect. BTW, what bike is your cx rig?

Back