27.5 has surprised me.

They say 27.5 is on its way out, its not different enough from 26. The future is 29ers apparently which does make sense. In reality 27.5 is nearer 27" and that's only one inch bigger than 26 so a bit pointless really. But rumours is rumours not facts.
Ha!
Who are "they"…?
Did they also say 29" is the new 26" and 36" is the new 29". Phact

Always amazes me how folk read a bit of a post then ignore the rest and fly off the handle.

Read the last line, in it I qualify what I've typed.

"Rumours are rumours, not facts!"

They say 27.5 is on its way out, its not different enough from 26. The future is 29ers apparently which does make sense. In reality 27.5 is nearer 27" and that's only one inch bigger than 26 so a bit pointless really. But rumours is rumours not facts.
In reality reality its 1/2" or 12.7mm in new money, so you're really only getting that 1/2" extra to roll over things. which to my reckoning does sweet fanny adams.

Its a bit like 2.6" v 2.8" tyres. 0.2" = about 5mm. 5mm is bloody tiny but some folk claim it helps them corner better. Given thats a single side the actual difference then is 2.5mm. That is minuscule and only a computer would register any difference. Too many big up the effects to seemingly fit into the group debate rather than stand up and shout BOLLOCKS

Depends on tyre profile, rim etc and what kind of terrain you ride re: difference it makes. tread pattern probably makes more of a difference. If these things made no difference we'd never have swapped Farmer John's Nephews for Panaracer smokes bitd.

MTB size wise, I've ridden 26, 27.5+ (close to 29 in reality), 27.5, 29. They all have subtly or vastly different riding qualities - especially at the ends fo the spectrum. People wanting to tune their rides is as old as the hills. 26ers are probably the most represented in my stable - but that's more by accident than design.

Wheel size is but one of the factors though really. But all those factors combined make a better riding bike.

So a little extra wheel size , with a little extra tyre , with a little extra bar width, with a little extra length , and so on

And if you think there isn’t much difference between a 26inch wheel and 27.5 put them next to each other and you’ll be surprised.

I've tried 27.5" wheels in 26" frames using disc brakes but I found mud/tyre clearance more of an issue than any benefits from the bigger wheels, probably ok in summer though.
Call me a Luddite, but I could barely tell any difference between 26" and 27.5" wheels, 26" and 29" wheels though did feel somewhat different, in a mostly good way.

When I get myself a new "new" bike I've told myself it'll have to be a 29er, but as I've plenty of 26ers in the shed I guess they'll do for now.

Back