27.5 has surprised me.

velomaniac

MacRetro Rider
Just as an experiment I bunged some 27.5 wheels with 2 inch wide tyres on my late 90's Univega 7300 FS. They fit perfectly well and one set of my old v brakes reaches the rim braking surface without modification so it v brake rear and disc brake front. I had convinced myself nothing would work other than purpose built modern kit with this wheel size.
So as things stand I now have a bike that fits one obsolete size and if the rumours are true it fits another soon to be obsolete size. But at least I now have a greater source of parts for the future for the Univaga at least.
Anyone else running 27.5 on their 26ers happily😊

They say 27.5 is on its way out, its not different enough from 26. The future is 29ers apparently which does make sense. In reality 27.5 is nearer 27" and that's only one inch bigger than 26 so a bit pointless really. But rumours is rumours not facts.

I don’t think 27.5 is going anywhere yet personally.

29ers suit a certain type of rider. Yes they are quick over terrain but not very fun on all the twists , jumps and playful bits.

Plus if you are under 5.8 you look silly riding a 29er and cyclist do tend to be small.

Are rim brake compatible 27.5/650B rims readily available? When I've looked it's been slim pickings and/or prohibitively expensive.

There are advantages and disadvantages to both 27.5 and 29, depends how and where you ride. I generally prefer 27.5 for what I do, everything around here's pretty tame, lighter so accelerate more quickly and more nimble. Having said that my 700c gravel bike aka 29er is fine too for where I live. Of course if you're talking about gravel rather than mtb then you can always fit a bigger 650b aka 27.5 tyre in which can be nice, mtb that's not normally an issue.

I remember when 27.5 and 29 were first a thing and the back to back tests which included 26 pretty much always came down in favour of 27.5. But you don't get the choice unless you go for a niche player or custom, same as with 1x vs 2x, the big companies always decide for you for better or worse. You try and find a Trek/Specialized etc with either and, if you find any, it's at the bottom end.

Someone talking about 27", well they've been out for ages really and never (?) on mtb's, so don't really come in to play

Back