24" forks

twain

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Anyone got a good source for 24" forks (v brake compatible) that aren't trashy suss forks that weigh a tonne?
Rigid also fine, but suss is preferred. The suntour ones look ok and there are some Bolnay branded ones that I've no idea on quality/weight etc...

What gives man? Why the lack of variety?

Re:

I had a set of pace forks made for 24 inch wheels, but that doesn't help you. I did have a build running 24 inch wheels and a 26 inch fork which worked really well so could open up your options.

I have a set of 24 inch disc only forks from an airnimal joey if you want rigid. 24 inch suspension options are limited to low end forks based on mt research/experience. Only option I came up with was a short travel 26er fork, or having someone custom build a pace fork for 24er, which is a route I nearly went down, but went for rigid custom 24er instead.

24 work fine in 26" forks from my experience, I've got into using avid cable disc brakes, or a 26" wheel might work depending on application. would on a jump bike but maybe not a well designed kids bike.

Re:

An Islabikes Creig 24 comes with 60mm travel Rockshox Gold 30 Solo Air forks for a 24" wheel. I have spent some time trying to find such forks for sale but couldn't. (So decided to purchase said bike)

I suspect that they are a custom order for Islabikes, or that they are the standard 26" version and adapted in some way. They have less travel than the 26" version which might suggest they are they same and have adapted internals to reduce the travel and effective length. They are nice and light though.

My initial thoughts on these forks is that they need a lighter oil than the standard 5 wt to speed up the rebound. This would allow the rebound control to be set somewhere in the range other than on the fastest setting.

Had to drop the pressure to around 50 psi to get 20% sag with rider on the bike. Not sure if for this weight of rider there is too much 'sticktion' in the forks to make suspension effective.

Not sure i'm really helping you with the problem of what 24" sus forks are available, but maybe my comments are still useful?

Manitou machete are made in 20" and 24". Comes in some bicycles like the kona process that it is a 24"

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    318.2 KB · Views: 498
Re:

I have got spinner air 300's 24" available and also a pair of fox talas 26" which I have used on my daughters bikes. The spinners are a simple air spring with no rebound but work well enough.

Back