Mike Muz

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Bontrager Fan
Feedback
View
Hi folks,

Will be driving to your neck of the woods from the deep south sometime in the summer for a week's break. I'll be bringing an old mountain bike with me. Oh yes, and Mrs Muz, who doesn't cycle.
Was wondering what areas are good for riding before we plan accomodation?
We shall probably do a few walks, along with the odd day out as tourists.

Any pointers regarding what areas in particular to stay in will be gratefully received

Thanks ;)

Mike

P.S. I have asked the west side folk too, as we've never been to the area.
Well, I have. But for a weekend, to see Mr Boardman win a national hill-climb comp. In Manchester Wheelers colours. So saw nothing of the area really :roll:

Re:

Don't have any area in mind, just somewhere tranquil really. I like cross country, singletrack and woods really. Like to get a lick on. Not an extreme downhill sort of chap. There is the option of bringing a road bike instead if I'd be missing out on some fantastic climbs.
As I did last year in the peaks :facepalm:
Didn't do enough research then, as a result I took the mtb and missed out some of the great climbs. Snake Pass, Cat &Fiddle, Holme Firth/Moss. I did Winnats Pass, but it wasn't a lot of fun on a mountain bike with about 30psi in the tyres as I'd been off-road

Ta

Mike

Re:

Have you been to the Derby Dales (South Peaks)
If not head there, try Matlock area and then just wondering about to Bakewell and the southern dales of lovely hills. Plenty around there.

Lincolnshire can be nice for road rides or random MTB rides, nothing taxing. Look at woodhall Spa area if it is sunny and a trip to Lincoln.
Forthur nothes are the Lincolnshire dales.

Further north is near me along the Number in North Lincolnshire plenty there but limited.

Sheffield area there is loads but you would need to find somebody else for. Advice, even though I lived there. North Peaks (close to peaks ride) on your doorstep, iirc depending on timing you may hit the Tour de Yorkshire and plenty of Transpennine trail style riding
Just busy.

Re:

Forgot East Yorkshire, where I live.

There is plenty here and hills and not to far from North Yorkshire. It been getting better for cyclist having the Tour de France set businesses up and the Tour de Yorkshire this year. As for a base for staying.

Re:

Been to peaks with and without a bike, nice riding in Matlock area. The time I didn't take a bike. :facepalm:
Mrs Muz hasn't got a bike and doesn't drive, so I don't want to take the pi..
Can do a few 2-3hr rides though

Mike

Back