shedobits

Kona Fan
Feedback
View
1635352253235.jpeg

1635352334542.jpeg

1635352438313.jpeg

1635352613883.jpeg

I bought this a couple of years ago from Madmax and promised him some build pictures but my camera lost all of its data. I built the frame up quickly and it has become my favourite ride. It's undergone several changes since the pictures were taken with a few more parts in the post.
Here's the current build spec:

The 2009 frame has the standard Fox Float RP23 Boost Valve shock.
Marzocchi Bomber RC3 forks with 160mm available travel and 20mm drop out, (heavy but worth the weight).
Bontrager Rythem Scandium Pro wheels set up ghetto tubeless running Hans Dampf 2.35 front and Conti Race King 2.2 rear.
Cranks are Race Face Atlas All Mountain with 170mm arms, fitted with RF 32t N W and Stowe 26t Oval NW for climbing days, all turned by MG1 magnesium peddles.
The rest of the drivetrain is made up of an 11-46t cassette, SLX 11 speed rear mech, Zee shifter and an XT chain.
Steering is by an 800mm Nuke Proof bar fitted to a 50mm Spank Spike stem, ESI grips and "The Pig" headset.
A Charge Spoon saddle sits atop a Descend 27.2 dropper post.
Stopping is by a Hope V4 home build with organic pads and 180 /160 rotors.
Repeated weighings with luggage scales give an average weight of 13.5 Kgs.
It's my favourite bike and deals with downhills, rock gardens and crossing hard baked plough easily, predictably it's not the best climber though.
Hope you like it.

Great stuff, loved the one I used to have. Looks like this started out as the AM model, just like the one I had.

Sold mine to a pal who then replaced it with a 2015 5. By the time I sold it was running mostly XTR and DT Swiss forks. :cool:

Thanks, you may not remember but you was kind enough to give me good advice regarding which year 26er Five to buy, advice I listened to for once. :D

That does look very nice indeed, it looks just right.
Before now I've never understood why some members collect just one brand but I have a Sub3, this Five and hope to replace my 29er XC frame with a Segment one day. It never stops does it?

Cheers mate, it's a belter. Actually started life as a Segment but the frame cracked so I got this frame last year under warranty. The Segment was a brilliant bike too.

Must admit, I have considered other brands but I like the way Orange full suss feels so never really felt the need to change. Saying that, due to the huge amount they've gone up in price over the last few years I doubt I'll get another new one. I have a Ragley Trig gravel bike as the RX9 was bonkers money for the spec and just bought an On-One Whippet to give XC a go. Reckon I'll look to Hope if I ever change the Stage but no plans, or money atm!

View attachment 579657

View attachment 579658

View attachment 579659

View attachment 579660

I bought this a couple of years ago from Madmax and promised him some build pictures but my camera lost all of its data. I built the frame up quickly and it has become my favourite ride. It's undergone several changes since the pictures were taken with a few more parts in the post.
Here's the current build spec:

The 2009 frame has the standard Fox Float RP23 Boost Valve shock.
Marzocchi Bomber RC3 forks with 160mm available travel and 20mm drop out, (heavy but worth the weight).
Bontrager Rythem Scandium Pro wheels set up ghetto tubeless running Hans Dampf 2.35 front and Conti Race King 2.2 rear.
Cranks are Race Face Atlas All Mountain with 170mm arms, fitted with RF 32t N W and Stowe 26t Oval NW for climbing days, all turned by MG1 magnesium peddles.
The rest of the drivetrain is made up of an 11-46t cassette, SLX 11 speed rear mech, Zee shifter and an XT chain.
Steering is by an 800mm Nuke Proof bar fitted to a 50mm Spank Spike stem, ESI grips and "The Pig" headset.
A Charge Spoon saddle sits atop a Descend 27.2 dropper post.
Stopping is by a Hope V4 home build with organic pads and 180 /160 rotors.
Repeated weighings with luggage scales give an average weight of 13.5 Kgs.
It's my favourite bike and deals with downhills, rock gardens and crossing hard baked plough easily, predictably it's not the best climber though.
Hope you like it.
Glad you're enjoying it, and the Five looks like it's enjoying life in the sun!
I like your choices of components too.

Back