2008 Salsa Ala Carte

DrGooGoo

Retro Guru
Built this bike in the summer of 2010. Purchased the frame from a shop online that was basically NOS. They said it was from a customer that bought the wrong size and exchanged frames. Still one of my favorite rides. I used it as a commuter bike for a few years. Hasn't changed it much since it was built other than it has wider riser bars now (Renthal FAT BAR Lite) cut to 740mm and upgraded the rear mech.

Attachments

• SAC2.jpg
    SAC2.jpg
    277.6 KB · Views: 89
  • SAC3.jpg
    SAC3.jpg
    764.5 KB · Views: 56
  • SAC5.jpg
    SAC5.jpg
    648.1 KB · Views: 47
  • SAC6.JPG
    SAC6.JPG
    682.6 KB · Views: 53
  • SAC8.JPG
    SAC8.JPG
    550.6 KB · Views: 57
  • SAC9.JPG
    SAC9.JPG
    487.3 KB · Views: 91
  • SAC10.jpg
    SAC10.jpg
    752.2 KB · Views: 97
The Salsas of that time were such nice frames. I always wanted a Vaya but every time when the moment was right they were out of stock. Now the current model has a rear post mount with QR and a front flat mount with Thru Axle! What are they thinking? The Fargo has overcomplicated dropouts, boost and comes with carbon forks on a frame that's made for front suspension. I don't get it!

The Salsas of that time were such nice frames. I always wanted a Vaya but every time when the moment was right they were out of stock. Now the current model has a rear post mount with QR and a front flat mount with Thru Axle! What are they thinking? The Fargo has overcomplicated dropouts, boost and comes with carbon forks on a frame that's made for front suspension. I don't get it!
Yes, I think Salsa made this bike to be modern (as of 200:cool: yet appeal to us folks that like retrobikes...

Oo like the Salsa forks! I think my frame must be a few years older -- it doesn't have the bracing at the rear disc brake mount.

You have a nice one. Looks like yours' is an early 2000's frame. It has brake bosses on the frame for canti/V-brakes (mine doesn't). Did you ever think of setting it up with canti or v-brakes and a rigid fork? That setup would be the ultimate retro-mod :).

You have a nice one. Looks like yours' is an early 2000's frame. It has brake bosses on the frame for canti/V-brakes (mine doesn't). Did you ever think of setting it up with canti or v-brakes and a rigid fork? That setup would be the ultimate retro-mod :).
I have indeed! There was a period Salsa fork on ebay a few months ago that we very tempting but it went for silly money. Plus at the moment the Salsa is my do-it-all bike so it needs to be versatile.

Attachments

• IMG_5074.jpg
    IMG_5074.jpg
    841.2 KB · Views: 12
Build Specs:

Frame​
Salsa Ala Carte True Temper Platinum 16 inch (Golrush Brown)​
Fork​
Salsa Cro Moto Chromoly (Goldrush Brown)​
Stem​
Salsa Pro Moto 31.8 clamp (90mm length, 5 degree rise)​
Handlebars​
Renthal Fatbar Lite 40mm rise, 740mM length​
Seatpost​
Salsa Shaft 27.2mm​
Seatpost Clamp​
Salsa lip-lock 30mm​
Rear Derailer​
Shimano Deore XT long cage​
Front Derailer​
Shimano Deore LX bottom pull​
Shifters​
Shimano Deore LX rapidfire​
Cassette​
Shimano Deore XT 8-speed (11-32 teeth)​
Rims​
WTB SpeedMaster​
Hubs​
WTB SpeedDisc​
Spokes​
WTB stainless steel, 15g double-butted​
Skewers​
WTB Quick Release​
Saddle​
WTB Rocket V Comp​
Crank Set​
TruVativ Firex SX (175mm)​
Chairings​
TruVativ TrueShift (22/32/44)​
Bottom Bracket​
TruVativ Powerspline​
Brake Calipers​
Hayes Mechanical MMX-1​
Brake Disc Rotors​
Hayes (160mm)​
Brake Levers​
Avid AD3 Levers​
Grips​
Oury grips/ODI Lock on​
Pedals​
Wellgo Alloy Platform Pedals​
Seatbag​
Avenir Bigmouth (Medium)​
Tires​
Maxxis Holy Rollers 26x2.4​
Headset​
Ritchey Comp Logic Threadless 1 1/8​
Bottle Cage​
Diamondback Alloy Cage​

With the wider bars and the seat lowered, this bike rides like a cross between a trials bike and a big wheel BMX cruiser. Great wheelie bike:)

Attachments

• 2  SAC.jpg
    2 SAC.jpg
    399.8 KB · Views: 54
  • 3 SAC.jpg
    3 SAC.jpg
    615.8 KB · Views: 54
Back