2005 Trek Top Fuel 110 Team Issue - Repair and Restomod

Is it wrong to use non period decals?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 12 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Ace thread and great attention to detail. Small point to note though, when it comes to Rockshox RCT3 isn't the damper, it's the features included on the damper if that makes sense? So it would be a Charger RCT3 or RC2, depending on the model. The damper used before the Charger was called Motion Control and is still used now in the lower end forks.

Ace thread and great attention to detail. Small point to note though, when it comes to Rockshox RCT3 isn't the damper, it's the features included on the damper if that makes sense? So it would be a Charger RCT3 or RC2, depending on the model. The damper used before the Charger was called Motion Control and is still used now in the lower end forks.

Cheers for the heads up.

The comp damper I have is part number 11.4015.544.270 "Compression Damper, Motion Control DNA, Crown Adjust - SID RCT3 Black A3 2014"

The Manual states "SID RCT3 A3 (2014) compression damper must be used with SID A3 rebound damper (with Rapid Recovery valving)"

2014 Rockshox spare parts manual

It was my understanding that this damper combo was pretty much the best you could get before the cartridge based Charger dampers came out?

EDIT: I looked into the possibility of getting a charger damper and there is one for 32mm chassis 26" Bluto forks. No idea if it happens to fit the 26" SID though. Also really expensive so I didnt fancy taking the risk

Yeah, so yours is the top line Motion Control with RCT3, which I think means it has separate rebound and compression settings as well as a 3 setting ride mode which goes from firm/locked out to trail to fully open and soft. I had some Revelation's back around 2010 and they had Motion Control, it was the top damper back then. Not sure if the Bluto Charger is the same as that damper only really started with the 2014 35mm Pike and every other model with it seems to be 35mm, including the SID these days. Could be wrong though.

When I was looking into Charger dampers I found out there are 32mm Charger 2 versions for 29" SID forks (Circa 2018-2021 ish) as well as a version compatible with 27.5" SID's and the Bluto Fat Bike fork.

Chances are the shaft would be too long though and its nothing in the technical documents to say that one would fit the 26" SID chassis.

Last edited:
Quite a busy day today. I went over to mr MrDickens place to do some painting for Wadsy and get the ball rolling on my frame. In the afternoon another mate of ours turned up with a couple of chavvys and one of them had a problem with the back brake on his ebike. Lever pulling straight the the bars and no sign of any pad movement 🤔

We decided to first try a bleed and see if that would sort it. But when we started to push fluid into the system we noticed it pouring out of the caliper. Dead seals maybe? I removed the caliper and took out the pads only to find a big hole where one of the pistons should have been 😂

The poor guy has replaced the pads and not noticed he was missing a piston. The brake was a tektro that uses mineral oil so MrDickens had a root through his brake stash and found a old Shimano caliper and a fresh barb and olive. It had old crusty pads so I cleaned them up as best I could with some brake clean and sandpaper, the 'new' pads hed had in the original caliper were dead and soaked in oil. We tried drowning them in brake cleaner and setting them on fire but there was no saving them. I got the 'Tekmano' set up and bled but matey boys going to probabaly need another set of new pads .

Last edited:
It was a fun day out in the shed broski. Couple of lads chilling fixing bikes with Charlie our quality control technician keeping a close paw on our work. That was so funny noticing that nonexistent piston with a brand new pad change 🤣 kinda don't expect to see that but anything is possible with a Chav init fam. Looking forward to chilling soon, get some more of "PROJECT FUEL" done. Shout out to Wadsy, hope you're enjoying tinkering big man 🔧🚲😉

Made a little more progress today.

I taped up my wheels and fitted the new valves. But the hose for the compressor is buggered so couldn't air up the tyres.

Also I removed the V-brake bosses from the frame. This was a scary job but went smoothly. There was a little bit of 'tear out' when I knocked the bosses off with a hammer and drift but it wont be a problem as I'll be patching the area with more carbon to cover the rivet holes and reinforce.

20230628_160105.jpg
20230628_163436.jpg
20230628_165742.jpg

Last edited:
In case anyone's wondering, the cassette is a "S-Road" Ali Express jobby. Machined from steel billet similar to the top end sram cassettes with a aluminium centre sleeve/spider. 11-42 and 307g

- Linky

Last edited:
A bit more progress today.

Firstly something fairly easy, fitted my shock mounting hardware. RWC needle roller kit for the top eyelet, standard Rock Shox setup in the lower. I chose the RWC because all the main pivots run on sleeves and bushings so I figured it might improve small bump sensitivity a little.

RWC needle bearing shock mount

I also bought some Ti shock bolts. They came with a threaded centre axle that needed trimming down. (They can be found on Ali express or eBay)

Shock is a brand new Rock Shox Monarch RT3.

20230701_152700.jpg

Last edited:
Back