2003 Giant TCR drivetrain upgrade advice

jawa

Dirt Disciple
Hello,

I have a 2003 Giant TCR 2 (white, red and blue) with Bontrager Race Lite wheels that I think I added in 2003 or 2004.

It currently has a 9 speed cassette but I would like to upgrade/renew the whole drivetrain and shifters as I love the bike.

How can I know if I can add an 11 speed cassette?

I understand I can put a hollow tech bottom bracket in to be able to us an Ultegra R8000 chainset and I am hoping to have a 11 speed cassette.

Any advice please.

Thanks!

11 speed uses a different hub to 9 speed. The splines are the same but its the width of the free hub that changed. If the wheels are around the age you think they are then they won't be 11 speed compatible. 11 speed has only been around the last 10 years or so to my knowledge. Now there is threads on the internet about machining 11 speed cassettes to fit older hubs but it does seem a lot of hassle.

Not familiar with that particular Bontrager wheel but they tended to use DT hubs back then so a new freehub might be a possibility.
Otherwise there might be enough material to machine it for more space.
I had it done before on a few freehub bodies.

Thank you all for you info and advice.

I have gone for a new more modern bike for racing on to get me the bigger gear range I want and I will keep this TCR as my winter/trainer bike

Funnily enough I've just replaced a complete groupset on a mate's old Giant with an R7000 (11-speed 105). It was an absolute bargain from Wiggle I would say - it was about £475 (including STI, mechs, brakes, chain and cassette, BB, cables) though it seems to be out of stock there now. He's thrilled with the difference over his old 8-speed groupset.

11-speed is a problem on older road hubs, as mentioned above. However, even for freehubs that are 8/9/10 only, there are Shimano 11-speed road cassettes that will fit older freehubs due to the way the rear of the cassette is designed, but these are only the ones in the 11-34 ratio (I think the models are HG700 and HG800). So there is a solution even with your old wheels, if you can live with 11-34.

Back