2001 Marzocchi Servicing?

DaveyBoyWonder

Retro Guru
Hi all. Just picked up a new (old) hack with a set of 2001 Z1 Drop Offs and they're in desperate need of a service. Seals seem ok but given they're snail like response to rebound I'm assuming the oil is like gloop. Anyone point in the direction of how to do an oil change on them? Quantities and weights of oil? Cheers, Dave

Off memory, type of oil can range from 5, 7.5 or 10 weight fork oil, depending on how you want them to perform. I went for 7.5 weight with my Z2 X-fly's.

Buying the "MTB specific" oil is quite expensive, cheaper to find a local motorbike shop and buy from there.

Re:

drain and change,
or take legs of and clean up to.

top caps off, and unbolt the legs from the bottom
that's about it.

7.5wt is standard, fork oil from crc or similar is cheap enough.

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/v/M ... intenance/

and
http://marzocchiworkshop.blogspot.com/p ... s_858.html

oil height is actually a small tweaking tool, the small air chamber can be used as a spring.nowt to worry abiut.

there is the technical guide dor 97-2000 forks in the archive, it'll hive you some tweaking hints and tips too.

Do an oil change for sure. Should be pretty straight forward. It sounds like they are in dire need. Might want to go a bit farther than just removing the top caps to drain & refill. Each leg has a 15 or 14mm nut on the bottom, removing those will allow you to drop the lowers & clean them & also grease the bushings and seals.

Stock oil is Golden Spectro 125/150 (7.5) although any good moto suspension oil should work well. Many people have gone to 10w with great results. Slickoleum is what I use to grease the bushings & seals. Same thing as Slick Honey or RS Butter, but cheaper. I'd lightly grease the bushings & seals, the seals can get quite sticky if not greased although you'll have to wipe the stanchions a few times for the first few rides.

Hopefully you don't have the same issue I've had with a few Z3's where for an unknown reason even after a full service they remain super slow in the rebound dept regardless of rebound setting after a full rebuild. The Z3's & Z1 drop offs have a similar cartridge design if I remember correctly. I've never any rebound issues with many Z2's, a couple 44's & 55's & a Shiver though If slow rebound continues after fresh oil & grease, you might want to remove the cartridge and let it soak in a big ziplock bag of rubbing alcohol for a day to see if maybe it's sludge buildup.

Good Luck! Marz forks are pretty easy to service & rebuild especially after you have the 1st one under your belt

Oh, something to catch the oil in is pretty important, gloves are nice & have some ventilation. That old oil can be quite pungent.

Back